How to make a new termbase?
Thread poster: Veronica Coquard

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 03:53
French to English
Jan 19, 2011

Okay, so this question might reveal just how much of a Trados novice I really am. But I do want to learn how to use Trados Studio to actually save time on something, perhaps, someday, so here goes...

When I learned how to use Studio, not so long ago, and when we covered termbases, I was taught to begin with an existing glossary in Excel format and convert it for use in Trados. However, in practical use, I realize that it would be easier to be able to create a new termbase directly when loading a new project (as I am told that it is good practice to designate a new termbase to each client or project). However, it seems laborious to begin with a blank Excel file and convert it.

Isn't there an easier way? I've dabbled a bit and I can't find anything like "Create a new termbase" (if these are not the terms used, please forgive me, I'm using the program in French).

Thank you for taking the time to help!

[Edited at 2011-01-19 09:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:53
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Multiterm 2009 Jan 19, 2011

You had better start MultiTerm 2009 (compatible with Trados Studio 2009). Click the menu for File > New Term base and set the termbase forms. [Read SDL Trados PDF documentation on how to start use of MultiTerm]. Next, open Studio > Open document (and TM, if any) > Open Termbase (you should know where your newly created termbase file is). On Editor view, click menu of View > Termbase View. Press your PC's function F3 key to add the new term to your termbase. Use Tab to move between source and target term to key in. Press F12 key to save each term. here you new word enters the MultiTerm termbase!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
English to Italian
Webinar recording on MultiTerm Jan 19, 2011

Hello,

You could have a look at this webinar recording... It is not the most recent but it should help.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/news/webinar-recordings/sdl-multiterm-webinar.asp

Regards
Massi

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Soonthon and Massi! Jan 19, 2011

Thanks you two!

I shall indeed look into these ressources and I'm sure they will help me.

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
but have you clicked "create termbase"? Jan 19, 2011

Hello verslanglais,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to create fresh, empty termbases for new projects that come without glossaries.

But have you clicked "create termbase" in the termbase menu in MultiTerm 2009? From there, you simply follow the prompts for setting up a new termbase (I use the bilingual glossary template option). I do this for every new project/client (I almost never get glossaries from my clients). Then I simply (it really is easy -- and it does save time in the long and short term!) add the terms while doing the translations in Studio 2009.

Have I misunderstood your question?

Sarah

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, exactly! Jan 19, 2011

That is exactly the information that I needed (although it is admittedly a bit daft), and yes, you did understand me right, as did Soonthon, and presumably Massi.

Nice to meet you, anyway, Sarah, and thank you for your help.

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
Happy to help! Jan 19, 2011

I am also new to SDL and so can sympathize. You mentioned hoping that this application will save you time at some point. Here is my favorite time-saving feature of MultiTerm (I do non-technical translation, so the TM function is mostly dormant on my machine): whenever I have a project that has repetitive phrases or words that I know perfectly well how to translate but don't want to type out over and over, I just enter the term in the termbase and it saves both time and boredom!

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
:-) You're a gem, Sarah! Jan 19, 2011

Thank you, Sarah. It's nice to know that I'm not the only Trados-impaired translator around. Getting better every time, of course! And yes, someday all this will have been worth it.

Cheers and hope to see you 'round!

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Buy MultiTerm? Sep 18, 2011

Does that mean that one has to purchase MultiTerm in addition to Studio 2009 in order to create a new termbase?

Thanks!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Downloading it would be enough Sep 18, 2011

As MultiTerm comes with no separate license, it is fully enough to download the installer from your account on www.sdl.com and install it.
A brief description how to create a termbase out of an Excel file can be found here.
It is unfortunately only for MT 2007, but the procedure is very similar in MT2009.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For further clarification Sep 19, 2011

Hi Ditte,

I recently wrote a blogpost on this important but confusing topic to help another colleague, maybe you will find it useful, it's here:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-create-multiterm-termbase-to-use.html

Gemma Bouchereau  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
What am I doing wrong? Oct 8, 2012

I've learnt how to create a termbase and it's all OK until I actually try and add a term to my termbase during translation.

Whenever I highlight the ST and TT terms and right-click to go to "add new term," my termbase appears to be showing the Spanish version of the term under the English index and vice versa. I've tried various things such as re-creating my termbase from scratch (it was brand new anyway) and double checking all the options I'd selected for my editing environment. In MultiTerm I changed the indexes around and still nothing.

I'm going round in circles at the moment, and I can only apologise because I'm sure when I find out what I'm doing wrong it will be a "kick yourself" moment...

Thank you!

Martin König  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Many thanks, Nora! Dec 4, 2013

Just ouf of sheer curiosity and boredom (unfortunately) I tried to look for some way how to import glossary terms in batches, rather than manually one by one.
Your guide is perfect and works on first try, so the "problem" I never had time even to think about before is solved in five minutes.

Excellent, thank you very, very much!
Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make a new termbase?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search