Uruguay
Local time: 03:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2011

Hello,

Just a quick question: is it necessary to clean up a file to get the TM updated
and that it works as it should?

This is my situation: I'm working on a middle sized document that will take me approximately 3 days to complete. I'm somewhere half way through, and some segments have started appearing again in the document. I know I have already translated them and that they are somewhere in the document. Thing is that Trados doesn't give me the green, 100% match suggestion, but the yellow, empty field instead, which obliges me to use the Word Find and Replace tool to manually insert the translation! Extremely irritating...

So I cleaned up the file with the option "Update TM" selected, and now it works. My question is, is there any way to update the TM without having to clean up? Or getting my 100% match, which I know I'm entitled to?

Thanks,

Alan

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 09:18
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clean up Jan 19, 2011

No you should not have to clean up the file in oder to get 100% matches. The TM updates every time you close a segmen by set/close/open/get or set/close

I don know why you cant get the mathces. However it will be easier for you to use the concordance (mark the segmen and press alt[+] arrow up) instead of the search tool in word. If the hole segment is not found in the concordance try marking just a part of it.

I hope this helps you some at least

[Edited at 2011-01-19 12:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-19 12:39 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Translate to fuzzy Jan 19, 2011

I usually start again at the beginning and perform a translate to fuzzy, confirming all changes on the way. Works in TE and Word.

Alan Corbo, CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forgot to add something... Jan 19, 2011

Sorry, only now do I realize I forgot to add a probably important detail: this thing of not getting the green field started after I exported the TM (i.e., I exported it from one computer and imported it into another). The "new" computer would give me the message "New translation unit. Use 'Set' to add to TM", but never the 100% match I expected.

Maybe I did something wrong/didn't do something during the export/import process?

Thanks!

Alan

Alan Corbo, CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the answer Jan 19, 2011

Sorry, but I'm an ass... I was using the "Close" command, instead of the "Set/Close" command, so that's the reason why the TM was not getting updated.

I'm not usually this dumb... it's kinda worrying

Sorry again and thank you very much for your help.

Alan

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Updating TM after proofreading changes Jan 19, 2011

To add insult to injury, you cleaned the document halfway through the process. That means you will not be able to update the TM after making proofreading changes to the cleaned portion of the document because there are no source segments anymore. Ugh!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic Trados question

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search