Basic Trados question
Thread poster: Alan Corbo, CT
| | Alan Corbo, CT
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
Just a quick question: is it necessary to clean up a file to get the TM updated
and that it works as it should?
This is my situation: I'm working on a middle sized document that will take me approximately 3 days to complete. I'm somewhere half way through, and some segments have started appearing again in the document. I know I have already translated them and that they are somewhere in the document. Thing is that Trados doesn't give me the green, 100% match suggestion, but the yellow, empty field instead, which obliges me to use the Word Find and Replace tool to manually insert the translation! Extremely irritating...
So I cleaned up the file with the option "Update TM" selected, and now it works. My question is, is there any way to update the TM without having to clean up? Or getting my 100% match, which I know I'm entitled to?
No you should not have to clean up the file in oder to get 100% matches. The TM updates every time you close a segmen by set/close/open/get or set/close
I don know why you cant get the mathces. However it will be easier for you to use the concordance (mark the segmen and press alt[+] arrow up) instead of the search tool in word. If the hole segment is not found in the concordance try marking just a part of it.
I hope this helps you some at least
[Edited at 2011-01-19 12:14 GMT]
[Edited at 2011-01-19 12:39 GMT]
| | Heinrich Pesch
Local time: 17:39
Finnish to German
| Translate to fuzzy || Jan 19, 2011 |
I usually start again at the beginning and perform a translate to fuzzy, confirming all changes on the way. Works in TE and Word.
| Forgot to add something... || Jan 19, 2011 |
Sorry, only now do I realize I forgot to add a probably important detail: this thing of not getting the green field started after I exported the TM (i.e., I exported it from one computer and imported it into another). The "new" computer would give me the message "New translation unit. Use 'Set' to add to TM", but never the 100% match I expected.
Maybe I did something wrong/didn't do something during the export/import process?
| Found the answer || Jan 19, 2011 |
Sorry, but I'm an ass... I was using the "Close" command, instead of the "Set/Close" command, so that's the reason why the TM was not getting updated.
I'm not usually this dumb... it's kinda worrying
Sorry again and thank you very much for your help.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Basic Trados question
|You've never met a CAT tool this clever!|
Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer.
Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools.
Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free
More info »
|SDL MultiTerm 2017|
|Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.|
SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.
More info »