https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/189946-extra_letters_added_by_trados.html

Extra letters added by Trados
Thread poster: Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:16
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2011

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I am working with Trados 2007, version 8 Freelance, and the client wants bilingual uncleaned files delivered.

Every time I type ´f´ I get ´af´ in my text.
The town Frederiksberg apears as Afrederiksberg...

this, that, thick appear as theis, theat, theick...

Al appears as all, or if I type it correctly, I get alll

... See more
Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I am working with Trados 2007, version 8 Freelance, and the client wants bilingual uncleaned files delivered.

Every time I type ´f´ I get ´af´ in my text.
The town Frederiksberg apears as Afrederiksberg...

this, that, thick appear as theis, theat, theick...

Al appears as all, or if I type it correctly, I get alll

I can make my own typos without help from Trados... Mercifully it only happens with one TM, but unfortunately it is a big one that I use quite a lot.

I have tried exporting it and importing it into an empty TM, but it makes no difference.
Has anyone else ever had a problem like that, and if so, did you find a solution?

It's driving me mad!
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:16
English to Spanish
Something similar Jan 20, 2011

On several occasions, I have had a "repeat ending letter" situation that I chalked it up to my typing. But I am an excellent typist. It only happens with one of my computers, the one with Windows 7, Word 2007. It has never, ever happened on the other one, where I have Windows XP and Word 2003. Hmmm. Sorry, no one has come to your rescue!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A long shot Jan 20, 2011

I have seen Trados 2007 do all sorts of funny things, but the fact that this only happens with one particular memory makes me think of some kind of problem with unusual fonts defined in the translation memory, which could be interfering with Word or TagEditor.

I think this is a very long shot indeed, but trying will only consume a few minutes. You can strip all non-standard font definitions from the memory as follows:

1. Open the memory.

2. Export the memor
... See more
I have seen Trados 2007 do all sorts of funny things, but the fact that this only happens with one particular memory makes me think of some kind of problem with unusual fonts defined in the translation memory, which could be interfering with Word or TagEditor.

I think this is a very long shot indeed, but trying will only consume a few minutes. You can strip all non-standard font definitions from the memory as follows:

1. Open the memory.

2. Export the memory as a TXT file (in the Workbench, File > Export..., just click OK with no criteria, and choose Translator's Workbench 7.x/8.x) as the file type.

3. Open the TXT file with MS Word (as a text file; mind the encoding --UTF-8-- since you will need to save the file back with the same encoding!) or any Unicode-compatible text editor.

Now notice the "font table", which starts with "FontTable" and ends with the last entry beginning with {\fnnn \here-a-font-name.

4. You can safely delete all lines from {\f3 to the end, making sure not to delete the final bracket that ends the font table. Now this part of your file should look something like:

<FontTable>
{\fonttbl
{\f1 \fmodern\fprq1 \fcharset0 Courier New;}
{\f2 \fswiss\fprq2 \fcharset0 Arial;}} <<--- Notice the two closing brackets! Both are needed.
<StyleSheet>

5. Save the TXT file (if you used Word, make sure it gets saved as a text file with Unicode UTF-8 encoding).

6. Create a new memory with the same language pair and import the TXT file.

Now try with the new memory and see whether this was just a nice way of making you lose your precious time! My apologies if this is the case.

[Edited at 2011-01-20 18:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-20 18:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-20 18:30 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS, TOMÁS!! Jan 20, 2011

It really seems to work, so a thousand thanks, as the Danes say.

I remembered, I do have a backup of course, and I am fairly certain at least one was made before the problem started. (Not the most recent, however...)

But there are a couple of good recent jobs in the TM. Of course, I could clean the uncleaned files from them in the new version of the TM, but if that re-introduced the mysterious code as well, then I would be back to square one ....

But it doe
... See more
It really seems to work, so a thousand thanks, as the Danes say.

I remembered, I do have a backup of course, and I am fairly certain at least one was made before the problem started. (Not the most recent, however...)

But there are a couple of good recent jobs in the TM. Of course, I could clean the uncleaned files from them in the new version of the TM, but if that re-introduced the mysterious code as well, then I would be back to square one ....

But it does look as if your suggestion has solved the problem. I'll back up this one just to be sure I have it!!

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2011-01-20 19:28 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Jan 20, 2011

I am happy it seems to work. It was a very long shot indeed, but it is also true that I have solved similar issues in the past using this method. Just post again if it starts to happen again. It will be interesting to see what the font table contains in that case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra letters added by Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »