Thread poster: Signe Golly

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:58
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2011

Hi!
I just received a whole batch of TMs from a client to use in a translation. There's a total of five files, all different types (not sure if it's the same content in different formats). Problem is, I can't figure out how to open any of them :-/
These are the file types:
IIX
MDF
MTF
MWF
TMW
I only have Trados 2009 (never owned 2007). The only file type it'll allow me to "see" when I go to open the TM is the .tmw. When I try to open that file, it opens the window to upgrade TM and says it cannot load the file because Trados 2007 is not installed. Then it asks me to click 'OK' to continue loading it or otherwise cancel. However, when I select 'OK' it still just disappears and never loads.
How do I go about converting these files into a readable format?

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Trados 2007 Suite comes with Studio Jan 19, 2011

Hello,

As far as I can see from my own TMs, these 5 files are 5 versions of the same data indeed, the TMW is the 'readable' TM and the 4 others are Trados Index Files (to be confirmed by a more knowledgeable colleague) ,all in the Trados 2007 format.

I understand that you have a license for Studio: then you must also have a licence for Trados 2007, since the 2007 edition (2007 Suite) comes with Studio when you purchase the latter.

I would recommend you to log in SDL's website (https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/ - you should have been sent a user ID and password when you purchased Studio), download Trados 2007 from 'My download' and then activate Trados 2007 through 'My licences'.

You will then be able to open the TMW TM (either through Trados 2007 or Studio) and upgrade it for a use in Studio.

Alternatively you may ask your client to send you the TM either in the Studio native format (.sdltm) or in the TMX format. Studio will be able to open both directly.

Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Aude Jan 19, 2011

I will definitely check that out ASAP! I'm running out of time right now (gotta pick the kiddo up from daycare soon) but I will look into it tonight and update whether I got it all figured out.

Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it sorted out! Jan 21, 2011

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

opening translation memory with ONLY Trados 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search