Running Trados simultaneously on 2 computers
Thread poster: William Pairman

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:49
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jan 20, 2011

I have Trados 2007 on my main desktop PC and my laptop. Now that my wife is learning to use the programme I find it can't run on 2 computers at the same time

Is there any way round this (ie 2007 on one and 2009 on another - being in the comfort zone with 2007 I still havent got around to activating my 2009 license) or do you have to buy another licence or something?

If so, how much is that likely to cost?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I am not an expert in licensing questions Jan 20, 2011

but from what I know there is no single freelance or even professional license allowing you to run the product simultaneuosly on two computers, when you own just one license.
However, with the combination of Trados 2007 and 2009 this may differ. I think the safest way to get a reliable and correct answer is to contact a sales representative of SDL, if you cannot find sufficient information in your EULA.

Mickey Argaman  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Running Trados simultaneously on 2 computers Jan 20, 2011

If you run both versions on the same network:
Try to change the name of the workgroup on the network.

In Vista, go to: Control Panel > System > Change setrtings (workgroup) > change... > and change the workgroup name.
That might solve the problem.

If you use the software by 2 users, I recommend you to buy a second license (only 515 Euro).

Mickey

tergum-tech
technical translation
תרגום-טק
תרגום טכני
תרגום
תרגום לעברית
תרגום טכני

Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
bargain! Jan 20, 2011

only 515 Euro

Hahaha, "only" indeed!

Thanks for the suggestion tho

Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent! Jan 20, 2011

Great suggestion Mickey, many thanks (and from my wife)!

תודה רבה

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 06:49
SITE STAFF
Studio "Plus" edition allows for you to work on two concurrent computers Jan 20, 2011

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus provides the convenience of an extra activation to allow you to work on 2 PCs simultaneously.

The plus edition is merely an extra 30 euros - http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_main.asp When buying through ProZ.com TGB - http://www.proz.com/TGB purchasers will be offered an opportunity to buy either the freelance edition, or freelance plus editions at the time of check out.

Regards,

Drew

Sawal  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 10:49
English to French
What happens if your computer crashes? Jan 20, 2011

What happens when your computer crashes, is lost or you sell it?

When you change you laptop, if you have a backup of the software, do you need to buy another license to install it on your new computer ?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
changing computers and selling them Jan 20, 2011

Sawal wrote:

What happens when your computer crashes, is lost or you sell it?

When you change you laptop, if you have a backup of the software, do you need to buy another license to install it on your new computer ?

If you change computers, simply return the licence on your old machine and when you have downloaded it on your new machine, activate the licence again.

If your computer crashes, you may have a spare licence on the SDL website. Check it out in "my account". Otherwise SDL has a system for providing you with a new one, by logging a support request.

If you sell your computer, you should return your SDL licence first, and then remove all your software from the machine. Personally, I've never found it worthwhile selling a computer, but sometimes I pass old ones on to my children, nephews and nieces

Eduardo Cano Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio yes, but not Workbench Jan 20, 2011

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus provides the convenience of an extra activation to allow you to work on 2 PCs simultaneously.

The plus edition is merely an extra 30 euros - http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_main.asp When buying through ProZ.com TGB - http://www.proz.com/TGB purchasers will be offered an opportunity to buy either the freelance edition, or freelance plus editions at the time of check out.

Regards,

Drew

That's right. However, you cannot run two Translator's Workbench simultaneously.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running Trados simultaneously on 2 computers

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search