Thread poster: Linda Gould

Linda Gould
Belgium
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2011

I tend to work at various locations and hate carrying my personal laptop around for security reasons. I was therefore wondering if there is a way to install the Trados programme on my personal secured website that I could then access from any computer that has internet.

I was thinking I could then take the project I am working with on a USB stick, work on it via a local computer with the web-accessed version of Trados and then save the work back onto the USB for further processing/work later.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remote control? Jan 20, 2011

I think it would be better for you to use a remote control product like LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc. With it, you can use your home machine with all your tools, email, software, memories, etc. from anywhere in the world, with a simple web browser. No need to carry your laptop; all you need is a computer connected to the Internet.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere? Jan 20, 2011

Not Trados, of course, but, well, try it: www.freetm.com

I know only two easily portable CAT tools: OmegaT (you may need a copy of JRE on your USB stick for the cases when it is not present on the host computer) and Anaphraseus (you may need a copy of portable OpenOffice.org), both being free software. Vendors of proprietary tool are too greedy

Linda Gould
Belgium
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas! Jan 20, 2011

Thanks Tomàs and esperantisto! Those are both great ideas.

I will definitely look into remote access and if I can't figure it out I will go for the "free" options. Glad there are people out there who can help find creative solutions when my mind get locked!

Thank you again!!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One drawback of remote access... Jan 20, 2011

...is that you need to keep your computer turned on at home, or else pay for a fixed IP address that would allow you to wake up your computer if it is off.

If your home computer is usually stable (i.e. it usually works continuosly for weeks without having to reset it), remote control is your option. If it is not too reliable and you sometimes have to turn it off electrically (unplugging it or using the hard reset of the CPU), then you will also need a remote-controlled power strip which allows you to turn on and off the power of machines connected to it.

Both with and without remote-controlled power strip, for remote control you need to configure your computer to turn on in case of a power failure. This is done in the BIOS configuration of the computer, and not all computers have it turned on (they stay off in case of an outage).

Good luck with it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Online" version of Trados??

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search