Thread poster: Audrey Fermon-Terraza

Audrey Fermon-Terraza  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:31
English to French
+ ...
Jan 21, 2011

Hi,
This question may have been raised in the past but I can't find a precise answer in the archives, nor on the Web.

I'm planning on migrating to Windows 7 and renewing my Office suite at the same time (I've been using Windows XP and Office 2003). I own SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.

Office Home and Student was offered with a new PC I bought for my family, so I tried to install it on my work PC, but I noticed that it is not compatible with Trados because it only allows for a non-commercial use.

Now, my question is, should I buy Office Professional or is Office Home and Business sufficient? The price is not the same and as I only need Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Office Home and Business would be enough, but I need to be sure that is is compatible with Trados 2007 (I know that Studio does not need an Office application to work).

Thanks for your answers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 19:31
English to Swedish
+ ...
dont buy office 2010! Jan 21, 2011

Hi,
I have office 2010 home/student edition on my computer. In most cases everything works fine but when it comes down to more complicated things like footnotes it is not the best choise. Keep in mind that WB 2007 does not fully support office 2010 and that there are no plans on it ever doing so. My advice would be to keep office 2003.

Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Jan 21, 2011

aikidokattita wrote:

Hi,
I have office 2010 home/student edition on my computer. In most cases everything works fine but when it comes down to more complicated things like footnotes it is not the best choise. Keep in mind that WB 2007 does not fully support office 2010 and that there are no plans on it ever doing so. My advice would be to keep office 2003.

I agree. I don't see why you would want to change if Office 2003 works fine with Trados 2007-2009.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
2010 Jan 21, 2011

I run Office 2010 and Trados Suite 2007 and Studio 2009 without any problems.

I have the professional version but as far as I know the only difference is the applications it includes (i.e. Word is always the same, regardless of whether it is Professional or Home and Business).

I wouldn't dream of going back to 2003. The great improvement in the Find window in Word 2010 alone is reason enough.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers Jan 22, 2011

The fact is, most of my clients send docx and xlsx files for translation nowadays and I am not happy with the rendering of the compatibility viewing tool I need to use with Office 2003. So having a more recent version of Office would be great in that respect. But I may also reinstall Office 2003 if I find it works best with Trados.
Now I just want to be sure that with the Home & Business edition I won't get an error message telling me I can't use Trados at all as with the Home & Student edition.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
error message Jan 22, 2011

Audrey Fermon-Terraza wrote:

an error message telling me I can't use Trados at all as with the Home & Student edition.

In the past I installed Trados on a machine running Home&Student and didn't get an error message. The only thing you see when you run Home&Student is a bar at the top that says something like "for non-commercial use only", but that is posted by Office, not by Trados.

What did your error message say?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Office 2010 Jan 22, 2011

Hello everyone,
AFAIK, Office 2010 Home&Student does not support VBA macros, hence its incompatibility with Trados macros.
I would definitely advise buying Office Business for two main reasons:
1. Trados compatibility
2. Licensing: if you use Home&Student to work on commercial projects, you are basically in breach with the EULA. In other words, it's the same as if you were using cracked software.

My 2c.

[Upraveno: 2011-01-22 19:16 GMT]

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Starter / Home&Student versions Jan 22, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

AFAIK, Office 2010 Home&Student does not support VBA macros, hence its incompatibility with Trados macros.

Hi Stanislav,
I think you may be referring to Office Starter http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/
that comes bundled as OEM on netbooks. It has very limited functionality.
I'm sure that Home&Student does work with Trados (although my experience dates back to Office 2007, not 2010).

However, I totally agree with you that it should not be used for work purposes.

Regards,
Emma

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
comptability 2010 Jan 22, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Stanislav,
I think you may be referring to Office Starter http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/
that comes bundled as OEM on netbooks. It has very limited functionality.
I'm sure that Home&Student does work with Trados (although my experience dates back to Office 2007, not 2010).

However, I totally agree with you that it should not be used for work purposes.

Regards,
Emma

Yes, I agree with Emma, 2010 Home & Student does work with Trados 2007, and fully supports VBA macros.

I experienced that when I bought my last laptop (with Office Home & Student 2010 trial version pre-installed).

[Edited at 2011-01-22 22:57 GMT]

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
...and perhaps OpenOffice Jan 23, 2011

This comment might be worth making although it's not a direct answer to the original question.
You can download and install the free office suite OpenOffice.org.
http://download.openoffice.org/
For me, its word processor (swriter) has 2 benefits:
1. It can open .docx documents, which older versions of MS Office cannot, and save them as .doc, which can then be opened by the older versions of Word. There may be some small differences (i.e. the documents may not be fully identical to the documents that would be obtained by saving as .doc from the recent versions of Word) but I can't say what these differences would be.
2. It can save ("export") documents in PDF format, including applying a password - I don't think MS Office can do that.

Oliver

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi all Jan 24, 2011

Reading your comments about Office 2010 working with Trados made me realize that the suite I tried some time ago was Office 2007 Home&Student, not 2010. I don't remember what message error I got at the time but it came from Trados, not Office.
Anyway, as I don't intend to breach any EULAs here I won't try to install the 2007 Home&Student edition again. I guess the 2010 Home&Business one should work fine.
About OpenOffice, it works fine with TagEditor but I can't produce the bilingual doc files some clients ask to receive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Office suite should I buy?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search