Cannot finish project, cannot export -- what now?
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:02
English to German
+ ...
Jan 24, 2011

Dear all,

(SDL Studio 2009 SP3 on Vista Professional)

I have finished a large translation of a Word file. I attempted to finalize but Studio crashed totally and irretrievably.
- Manual "Save target as..." produces a document with the source text.
- Tried to "Populate main TMs" (to auto-translate in a new project) but the process stops with the error message "Cannot find xyz.doc" (the source document).
- Created a TTX version of the Word file, but i
... See more
Dear all,

(SDL Studio 2009 SP3 on Vista Professional)

I have finished a large translation of a Word file. I attempted to finalize but Studio crashed totally and irretrievably.
- Manual "Save target as..." produces a document with the source text.
- Tried to "Populate main TMs" (to auto-translate in a new project) but the process stops with the error message "Cannot find xyz.doc" (the source document).
- Created a TTX version of the Word file, but it will not import into the project (a "scan" flashes briefly, then disappears...). Nothing is imported.
- In "Translation Memories" I attempted to import the bilingual XLIFF, but of the 299 segments it imports only 11 (0 errors). The TTX created above and in a new project autotransates to just 30%, the rest is not in the TM...

Help! How can I rescue the work I have done?

All I have is a bilingual XLIFF and no way to export it

-Mike-
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Any error messages? Jan 24, 2011

Without having at least a brief note of what is hapenning there on your PC it is looking for a needle in a haystack.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try a macro Jan 24, 2011

Usually there is the macro option to clean the file:

Program>macros>tw4winClean.Main

This usually works for me in Word.

Good luck

Marketing-Lang.
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was worried... Jan 24, 2011

you might say something like that. Jerzy. Everything that Studio reports was in my first posting.

In the meantime I have imported the bilingual XLIFF into a newly created TM in a new project and have autotranslated from there. I then autotranslated the TTX version and imported this as text into the original TM.
So the situation is saved, but not necessarily my faith in Studio...
-M-

[Edited at 2011-01-24 12:30 GMT]

Marketing-Lang.
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Pamela but Jan 24, 2011

the document was monolingual and in the source language.
Your workaround relates very well to documents translated with Trados 2007 in Word. In this case my problems arise from SDL Trados 2009.
Thanks -M-

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This shows that... Jan 24, 2011

the error might have been alredy in the source file.
I am glad you were able to solve the situation in a way you describe, because I would not have suggested anything else.
And regarding the faith - test the untranslated source file, if it does not make problems...

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
production of a target file from the SDLXLIFF through SDL XLIFF Converter Jan 24, 2011

Mike,
I am glad you solved your issue.

Just FYI, another workaround to generate a target document when nothing else works can be to export the SDL XLIFF into a bilingual Word table using the SDL XLIFF Converter toolhttp://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2, and the
... See more
Mike,
I am glad you solved your issue.

Just FYI, another workaround to generate a target document when nothing else works can be to export the SDL XLIFF into a bilingual Word table using the SDL XLIFF Converter toolhttp://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2, and then C&P the target column into a new blank document and change the table into a text (using the adequate MS Word feature).
The formatting would need to be re-done from scratch but your text did not seem too long (299 segments).

You can also build a new TM from this bilingual exported Word table as follows: 1. save the source column in a (new) source document, 2. save the right column in a (new) target document and 3. align both using Winalign.

HTH,
Aude

[Edited at 2011-01-24 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot finish project, cannot export -- what now?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »