Create generic placeables
Thread poster: vlafond

vlafond
Local time: 00:58
English to French
Jan 24, 2011

Hi all,

I wonder if it's possible to define placeables in Studio.

I often have references constituted of one letter followed by three to four figures such as A123 or B4567.

Is it possible within Studio to define generic placeables for chains of characters made of both letter and figures with no space in between ?

Kind regards,
Vincent

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
This may work Jan 24, 2011

It seems possible, if your special placeables have a special style in the original file (before translating).

Then in Studio Editor View, if you have, for example, a Word file, go to Tools/Options, select that file type and put the name of that style into the table which appears at „Non-translatable styles”.

vlafond
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
placeable is regular text Jan 24, 2011

Thanks István,

Unfortunately, the text I would like to define as a placeable is just regular text.

Thanks,
Vincent

English to Hungarian
Preparation of the file Jan 25, 2011

If it is possible, open the file in Word, create a new style, and convert the items you wish to be treated as placeables (A123 etc.) into that style, with the Find/Replace feature.

Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
German to English
Is this possible in Trados 7? Nov 4, 2011

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but does anyone know a way of doing this in Trados 7?
Specifically is it possible to either define a Word style as placeable or define placeables using some kind of wildcard/regex syntax? (e.g. for strings such as A123, X678 as in István's example)
I wondered about using the tw4winnone style (added by Trados' sAddTagStyles macro), but there's no documentation on it anywhere (not even on Google!!).

Many thanks for any help.
Jez Amos

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:58
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Regex Tagger Nov 4, 2011

I think you're looking for something similar to the Regex Tagger of memoQ 5.0 or the new Regex import options in the latest build of DejaVu. Have a look at those two options.

[Edited at 2011-11-04 15:05 GMT]

United Kingdom
German to English
Not a regex issue Nov 4, 2011

Hi Epameinondas,
thanks, but that doesn't really help me - the question isn't about how to use regular expressions, it's about how to markup text so that Trados (and not MemoQ or DajeVu) treats it as a placeable.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Depends on the filetype Nov 4, 2011

Hi Vincent,

If the file is a text file then you can use the regex filetype in Studio for this. What type of file is this?

Happy to take a look if you can share the file?

Regards

Paul

English to Hungarian
Try this Nov 5, 2011

Hi Jeremy,
I think it is possible.
If it is a .doc file, create a new style and - with a suitable regex - convert to that new style everything that you want to be considered by Trados as placeable. Then create the tm in Workbech and go to File/Setup/Non-translatable text tab, open the file and copy the new style into the non-translatable box on the left.
Texts in this style will be considered as placeables.

United Kingdom
German to English
Thanks! Nov 5, 2011

Brilliant, thanks István, can't believe it's that simple!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ideas Nov 6, 2011

Jeremy Amos wrote:

Brilliant, thanks István, can't believe it's that simple!

That's interesting, because I can't believe it's that complicated.
User-defined placeables is definitely a feature that I would like to see in Studio, so I looked it up on ideas.sdl.com. I found one idea posted ages ago by Adam Lobatiuk:
http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2145

Perhaps there are other ideas on the same issue that have received more support already, but I can't find any. I'd encourage everyone to vote for this one.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Other idea Nov 6, 2011

Found another idea on the same thing:
http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=402

It says "accepted for Studio 2009" (note that it's 2009, not 2011) but it doesn't look like the feature has been implemented.
Perhaps Paul could tell us if we can expect this feature to show up in Studio 2011 or even 2009 as promised.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Numbers Plus Letters as Placeables Nov 7, 2011

Hi Farkas,

This idea was accepted for 2009, but unfortunately it fell further down the list of priorities as time went by and never quite made it. We are in the process of going through the ideas site to update it and this is one of the ideas that will be moved to future development as it is still on our product backlog as an item to allow regex based placeables.

If the filetype is text based we can do this now with the regex filetype, or xml using the embedded content processor, but we can't do this universally for all filetypes in an easy way yet. There is work in this area for other filetypes so I'm hopeful, but couldn't put a definite timescale on it yet.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OK Nov 8, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Farkas,

This idea was accepted for 2009, but unfortunately it fell further down the list of priorities as time went by and never quite made it. We are in the process of going through the ideas site to update it and this is one of the ideas that will be moved to future development as it is still on our product backlog as an item to allow regex based placeables.

If the filetype is text based we can do this now with the regex filetype, or xml using the embedded content processor, but we can't do this universally for all filetypes in an easy way yet. There is work in this area for other filetypes so I'm hopeful, but couldn't put a definite timescale on it yet.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the info. I presume that means that it will never hit T2009, only 2011, right? I'd expect that 2009 won't get new features going forward, unfortunately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create generic placeables

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search