Thread poster: Maeva Perat
Maeva Perat
Maeva Perat  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
English to French
+ ...
Jan 26, 2011

Hello,

I am not used to Tag Editor yet and I have a problem to convert my translated file back into a .doc.
As I didn't created the .ttx fil myself (it was sent by the client), I wonder if this is the reason why it doesn't work.

I then tried to convert the source file (.doc) I managed to get from the client into a .ttx to convert it back into a .doc.
I get a first error message while converting it into .ttx, as Tag Editor detects that not all the track chang
... See more
Hello,

I am not used to Tag Editor yet and I have a problem to convert my translated file back into a .doc.
As I didn't created the .ttx fil myself (it was sent by the client), I wonder if this is the reason why it doesn't work.

I then tried to convert the source file (.doc) I managed to get from the client into a .ttx to convert it back into a .doc.
I get a first error message while converting it into .ttx, as Tag Editor detects that not all the track changes have been accepted or rejected, although it is not the case.
I managed to pass through by converting the .doc into a .docx, but then, while converting the .ttx back into a .docx, I get the following message : "The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor document is invalid."

Does any solution occure to you?

Thanks a lot in advance...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Accept all changes, switch off track changes Jan 26, 2011

and use Word 2003 format.
The document you created in Word 2007 format (you refer to it s docx) is somehow corrupted. I know the message you quote "tag structure invalid" only in conjunction with W2007 and was never able to get rid of it without changing the format.

Maeva Perat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already done... Jan 26, 2011

I already accepted all the changes, and switched off track changes, but Tag Editor "believes" there are still unaccepted changes...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is a quite well known Word problem Jan 26, 2011

Save as DOCX, close, reopen, save as DOC and try again.
Should that not help, do the same with rtf.
Still no luck - use OpenOffice. This will help.

Maeva Perat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work... Jan 26, 2011

Well nothing worked... Thank you anyway ! I will try to find a solution with the client.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Opening in OpenOffice and saving as doc does not work? Jan 26, 2011

That is a very hard case then. Never seen so problematic file.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Let the client handle it Jan 26, 2011

If the client converted the doc file to the ttx file in the first place, it should be a walk in the park for him/her to convert your translated ttx file back into a doc file.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Open and repair in Word? Jan 26, 2011

I get a first error message while converting it into .ttx, as Tag Editor detects that not all the track changes have been accepted or rejected, although it is not the case.

I would try to open the DOC file from MS Word using the "Open and repair..." command from Microsoft Word. It has helped me in other occasions.

Once Word opens it, it might tell you that it has fixed some problems. Then accept all changes (yes, again, some changes might have become visible now) and save the document.

This might allow you to fix the document for TagEditor and then it might be possible to generate the target file.

Daniel

Maeva Perat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I worked ! Jan 27, 2011

This morning the conversion into .odt and back into .doc worked !
I think I had forgotten to close the document this night...

Thank you to all anyway, and Daniel, I shall try your method if I am faced with the same or a similar problem again (although I hope not)!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor: impossible to clean up the file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »