What happens to headers if translated with Trados, when cleaning them up?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:51
German to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

Hi,

I have done a few files with Trados, but due to tight deadlines I mostly limited myself to basic functions.
Today I have tried to clean a file with Trados (6.5) and I have noticed that the header, which I have edited with Trados was cleaned, but the formatting was lost and instead of being a header, it was a normal table inserted in the text. Is that something normal or did I do something worng?
Thanks.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Was this formatted as a header? Mar 4, 2004

Hi Eli,
IOW: was this section set in a different area of the text (i.e. the header/footer area)?

Ralf

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry, it's too late for me :-) Mar 4, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Eli,
IOW: was this section set in a different area of the text (i.e. the header/footer area)?

Ralf

I don't understand what you mean. I'll try to explain it more clearly, but I can give no guarantees.

I have a Word document from the client, with a header containing the title of the document, the editor, the release, the date, etc. (usual info in the header). I open the header (after translating the file with Trados), I open the text in the header as Trados segments and I translate them, so that they are in the memory (I have about 20 documents with the same header). When Trados goes through all the text, I close the header and when I clean the file, instead of the header I had in the original I have a table, as a normal part of the text, not as a header.
Hope I explained it more clearly this time. If not, I'll try again tomorrow, after I get some sleep.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Never seen this happen before... Mar 4, 2004

Hi Eli,
No problem at all - I just wanted to make sure that the header actually is a header, not just a bit of normal text on top.

Sorry, no idea what may have happened there...?

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens to headers if translated with Trados, when cleaning them up?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »