Error when trying to open a word file for translation
Thread poster: Phillip C

Phillip C
United States
Local time: 11:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2011

I am getting an error upon trying to open a file (file is in Word) for translation in Trados 2009. It reads: "An item with the same key has already been added" . After the error is displayed the document will not open. What is this error and what does it mean. How can I correct it to be able to open this word document for translation? Please anyone I need help desperately.
Phillip C

Maeva Perat  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
English to French
+ ...
Repair the file Jan 27, 2011

Maybe you can open the word document and try to repair it...
Or open it, copy the text, and paste it into a new document. Sometimes it works...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to start a new project Jan 27, 2011

If this does not help, delete Studio setting files UserSettings.xml and BaseSettings.xml - the path for Win7: C:\Users\JCzopik\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0

If still no success, rename the Projects.xml in your Documents\SDL Studio\Projects folder and try again

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
restart studio/pc Jan 27, 2011

It's always worth restarting Studio and/or your pc to see if the problem goes away on its own.
Presumably you've tried this?

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no success Jan 27, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If this does not help, delete Studio setting files UserSettings.xml and BaseSettings.xml - the path for Win7: C:\Users\JCzopik\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0

If still no success, rename the Projects.xml in your Documents\SDL Studio\Projects folder and try again

Hi Jerzy,
Thanks for your imput. I tried both your suggestions but still the document will not open. Any other suggestions?
thanks.
Phillip C

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have Jan 27, 2011

Actually that was the first thing I tried but to no avail. Running out of options. I've already tried Jersey's suggestions but they didn't work either......icon_frown.gif

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that too Jan 27, 2011

MaevaPerat wrote:

Maybe you can open the word document and try to repair it...
Or open it, copy the text, and paste it into a new document. Sometimes it works...

I tried that Maeva, but I got the same result. Still the document will not open.... I've also tried Jerzy's suggestions but those didn't work either.....icon_frown.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does this happen only with that file? Jan 27, 2011

Or does this happen with other files in the same format?
If just this file, recreate it - either copy the text in a new file or save as rtf and then resave as doc, use OpenOffice to open the file and save as doc, save as docx and then as doc again...

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will try that Jan 27, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If just this file, recreate it - either copy the text in a new file or save as rtf and then resave as doc, use OpenOffice to open the file and save as doc, save as docx and then as doc again...

It only happens with this particular document. Apparently there's something inherently wrong with the document. I tried copying and pasting it in a new document but that didn't work either. I will try your latest suggestion. I'll have to start by downloading OpenOffice. thanks for your suggestions Jerzy, I'll try it them and see what happens.

Phillip C

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Jan 27, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thank you so much Jerzy, that worked, I did just as you said using OpenOfice and I was able to open the document, finally. The layout changed a bit from the original; but nothing that can't be corrected with a few adjustments. Again Thank you. Your advise was priceless...icon_smile.gif

Alex Lilo
Ukraine
Local time: 21:51
English to Russian
+ ...
an item with the same key has already been added Feb 18, 2011

my java just updated to 6.24 (32 and 64 bit). multiterm works fine. sdl 2009 sp3 gives this same error when I try to prepare or convert to translatable Word.docx files. some of the files contain formatting that will be lost if converted to doc. recreating the formating (it is massive) will take loads of time. for now I am switching back to the old Translator's Workbench, but I am pretty tired of SDL 2009 failing after any minor automatic system update (did not work after adobe player updated, does not work after java updated...). I cannot disable the updates because they are crucial to some other applications I use on my computer. I'd be stuck with my project if I did not have the old good workbench.

Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:51
Indonesian to English
+ ...
reinstall java; check processes in task manager Mar 8, 2013

@alex lilo:
Visit Java website (www.java.com) to make sure you get the CORRECT update. I had a problem with Trados application suddenly refused to open.

It was discussed here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229970-studio_2011_sp2_wont_open_splash_screen_crashed.html

@phillip c:
Your error also happened to me when trying to open a certain .docx file. The file from the client was somehow corrupted. So, I re-saved it to .doc (Word 97-2003 version), but it failed to load into Trados as well, saying that the file was in use.

What I did was: open the Task Manager while I tried to load the .doc document using Trados. At the point when Trados asked me for TM, in the Task Manager the WINWORD.exe process suddenly appeared. So, I ended that process and continued with the Trados steps and the document was loaded successfully.

[Edited at 2013-03-08 10:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when trying to open a word file for translation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search