Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:36
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2011

Is anyone experiencing low levels of memory recall in SDL Trados Studio 2009? Stuff that's in the memory should be coming up but isn't, or at least not always. You have to a) know that the stuff is in there and b) do an F7, which certainly brings up the text but somewhat slowly.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio fuzzy matches Jan 27, 2011

You may be thinking of the low return of fuzzy matches, no? Fuzzy matches are definitely less useful than they used to be in Trados. It's the main reason I'm switching to MemoQ.
I've often had the feeling, like you say, that "something should be coming up, but it isn't", but can't say for sure if that is the case.

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:36
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not just fuzzy Jan 27, 2011

Not just fuzzy, Marinus, but even 100% matches. However, yes, especially with fuzzy, even when you lower it to 60%. Anyway, it's not just a "feeling", it's a fact.

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to German
+ ...
Fuzzy Match Mystery Feb 9, 2011

Ok, here is a current example and I wonder if SDL have an answer for this:

I set the project to pretranslate at 75% fuzzy.
Also the project is set to: Translation min match value 75%;
Concordance min match value 70%.

I get a segment with a nice 89% match pretranslated (actually from another very similar file I have done just before). The segment is coded as a pa (Paragraph). Same Memory, same project, same client, same everything. No Filters,

... See more
Ok, here is a current example and I wonder if SDL have an answer for this:

I set the project to pretranslate at 75% fuzzy.
Also the project is set to: Translation min match value 75%;
Concordance min match value 70%.

I get a segment with a nice 89% match pretranslated (actually from another very similar file I have done just before). The segment is coded as a pa (Paragraph). Same Memory, same project, same client, same everything. No Filters,

I move to this segment..... tata: "No translation results to display" even though it was correctly pretranslated!!

Now: The penalties are set to Missing formating 1; Different formating 1; Multiple translations 1.

I set all of these to 0 and .... Studio finds the match.

So 89% minus 3% = less than 75%??

One more test: I set the penalties back to their original values:

Now Studio still finds the match and consistently does so...

(Could all of this be due to automatic updating to CU10? Or is ist something more sinister?)
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 12:36
English to Chinese
make sure you are using the right template... Feb 9, 2011

I had a similar problem before, but then with the help of SDL Support, I found out that the template I used to create the troublesome project was in fact an old template from SP1 or SP2. So to rule out this possibility, make sure that you are pulling the right template from your desired location.
This is something worth checking if you are like me, like to move my folders around:)
Good luck!

Chun-yi

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to German
+ ...
SP3 template Feb 9, 2011

Thanks Chun-yi,
but this is a new project created based on the standard SDLX template, not on an old previous project. And the SDLX template must be SP3, because we had to freshly install Studio recently from scratch due to a bad hard disk on that particular PC.

So the only thing that changed is CU10... (Project created 29.1.2011, i.e. after CU9).

Sanne

[Edited at 2011-02-09 18:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STUDIO 2009 memory recall weak

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »