Error "(87): The parameter is incorrect. File skipped!"
Thread poster: Edward edbradburn

Edward edbradburn
Germany
Local time: 08:24
German to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2011

I am getting this error when attempting to use the "Translate" command on a file.

I have consulted the two SDL support articles:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1553&p=1
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1553&p=1

and also the two posts made about this error here on proz.com:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149867-error_when_analyzing_files.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/140905-87_incorrect_parameter_dates_in_trados_workbench.html

but these have not helped.

Importantly, I can "Analyse" the file without any problems whatsoever.

It simply stops Translating the file about 65% of the way through (and does not generate a TTX).

There is nothing particularly weird about the file names involved, and there are no missing log files (I must have used TRADOS Workbench about ten times today for other files and had no problems whatsoever).

As a last resort I might be able to use Studio 2009 (Studio reads in the file fine with no error; DVX might also be an option) but I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had had this problem and it was NOT to do with log or temporary files.

Re-starting the computer, checking log file locations turns up nothing, nada and zilch, as does reorganizing the database.

Oh, and as a last point, the error message given by the SDL knowledgebase has the following syntax:

"The parameter is incorrect [file name]. File skipped"

However, my error message does NOT contain a filename. This clearly makes the file that actually was skipped rather harder to find Or, as so very often, the error message given by TRADOS has nothing to do with the actual error.

Cheers,

Ed

[Edited at 2011-01-27 20:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-27 20:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-27 20:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Opening in TagEditor does not work?W Jan 27, 2011

What if you simply try to open in TagEditor?
If that works, you can take the TTX file and translate in Studio without asking anyone, as the deliverable will be TTX again.

Edward edbradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio workaround / DVX Feb 8, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Sorry it's taken me an age to get back to this thread, but I have now got another file with the exact same problem (exact same client as well), so I clearly need to look more closely at the problem.

While I can use the TTX in Studio, as you suggest, my TRADOS workflow usually involves DVX doing the actual translation.

Hence, a non-segmented TTX is useless for me in that respect.

One workflow would be:

- Open Word in TagEditor, save as TTX
- Prepare in STUDIO, export XLIFF
- Translate XLIFF in DVX
- Export XLIFF, project TM (i.e. just the units for the file, as TMX)
- Open new XLIFF in STUDIO, using TM created from the TMX export
- Pre-translate, fix in STUDIO, export as TTX

Pretty long workflow and I think there must be a better way of doing this, assuming I can't find a fix for the error (my current situation).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error "(87): The parameter is incorrect. File skipped!"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search