Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2011

Hi!

I've already read the previous threads about this error but I could not solve the problem.

The situation is this:

I am using Studio 200p SP3, Multiterm 2009, Win 7 (64bits)
Today I activated the license to use Autosuggest.
Yestarday I installed the latest updates for Windows.

I tried recovering the system to an earlier date but it still does not work.

Today I created a new project in Studio 2009. It is a Ms Word fil
... See more
Hi!

I've already read the previous threads about this error but I could not solve the problem.

The situation is this:

I am using Studio 200p SP3, Multiterm 2009, Win 7 (64bits)
Today I activated the license to use Autosuggest.
Yestarday I installed the latest updates for Windows.

I tried recovering the system to an earlier date but it still does not work.

Today I created a new project in Studio 2009. It is a Ms Word file (144 pages, many pictures and tables). I struggled a lot because it woudn't open due to track-changes. There are none left but it still won't open. When I finally found a solution in a forum (just tick an option in Studio 2009), it does not prepare the file for translation due to this new error "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt".

Trados Studio seems to be working with other files and projects. Though it doesn't seem to be recognizing any terms.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Laura
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This Word docment is still crap Jan 27, 2011

You should open it in Word, using the "Open & repair" option, then save as RTF. Close Word, open the RTF and save as doc again. Should that still leave track changes on, use OpenOffice to open the file and save as Word again.

As for the term recognition - this is quite often the case, when you use Workbench and Studio in exchange. Either via Start - Programs or in your Multiterm installation folder you should find SideBySide tools. Use the Activate MT 2009 task from there.

Laura Bissio CT
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OO version works! Jan 27, 2011

Thank you very much Jerzy!

I'm just worried about the eventual format issues. Many times when I open a MsWord file in Open Office it does not look the same.

Thanks again!

Laura Bissio CT
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another option Jan 27, 2011

Just in case it might be helpful to anyone:
I also tried this procedure:
- save the .doc file as .docx
- open and repair the docx file, accept all track-changes, turn track-changes off and save it back to .doc
- open and repair this .doc file.

For some reason, Studio 2009 still sends an "unaccepted changes" message when I try to open the .docx file, but works well with the .doc file.

Kind regards to all prozians!

Laura

Roberto Lipani
Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Italian to English
+ ...
Try to accept all changes prior to open the file in trados Jan 27, 2011

Hi,
I experienced the same problem with .doc files also in Alchemy Publisher 3.0. The solution is to Accept all changes in the doc file (You should find this option under the item "Track Changes". Once you have done this, you will be able to open the file using trados or any other cat tool to carry out the translation.
Also, note that the feature "track changes" is used when a document is set for revision, so the feature remains even when the document does not show any visible chang
... See more
Hi,
I experienced the same problem with .doc files also in Alchemy Publisher 3.0. The solution is to Accept all changes in the doc file (You should find this option under the item "Track Changes". Once you have done this, you will be able to open the file using trados or any other cat tool to carry out the translation.
Also, note that the feature "track changes" is used when a document is set for revision, so the feature remains even when the document does not show any visible change in it.

Best Regards, Roberto
Collapse

Laura Bissio CT
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All changes were accepted Jan 28, 2011

Hi Roberto,
the changes were alreary accepted and the track-change feature was turned off. I repeated the process several times, besides reviewing the file to see if there was any unaccepted change left, I even asked a colleague of my team to do it for me on another computer. So I can confirm that the file was corrupt in a way that it generated this message but the actual problem wasn't this.

The good news is that after transforming the file into .docx and back to .doc and rep
... See more
Hi Roberto,
the changes were alreary accepted and the track-change feature was turned off. I repeated the process several times, besides reviewing the file to see if there was any unaccepted change left, I even asked a colleague of my team to do it for me on another computer. So I can confirm that the file was corrupt in a way that it generated this message but the actual problem wasn't this.

The good news is that after transforming the file into .docx and back to .doc and repairing it, I was able to open it (and work in it) with trados (I tried Studio and Tag Editor and it worked in both cases, so I'll use Studio).
It also worked after saving the file with OpenOffice and back to .doc and repairing it, but the huge difference is that in the second case the displayed format was a mess: lost headers and footers, irregular lines in the table of content, lost bullets, etc...

Thank you for your time!

Laura
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 22:18
English to Russian
+ ...
nothing to do with track changes Sep 27, 2011

just now was finally able to convert a regular word docx into translatable format in SDL Studio 2009. I have saved it into rtf, open office, etc., back and forth to no avail. my studio often reports errors when I use docx files, so I did not try saving to docx, but when I could not think of anything else, I tried converting a docx into translatable. it worked.

what surprises me is that I kept getting the same error even on a regular 97-2003 word doc with 17 pages of plain text in i
... See more
just now was finally able to convert a regular word docx into translatable format in SDL Studio 2009. I have saved it into rtf, open office, etc., back and forth to no avail. my studio often reports errors when I use docx files, so I did not try saving to docx, but when I could not think of anything else, I tried converting a docx into translatable. it worked.

what surprises me is that I kept getting the same error even on a regular 97-2003 word doc with 17 pages of plain text in it, all times roman 12, no other formatting (copied from a txt file). sdl software is totally unpredictable and every now and then takes too much time to solve all kinds of issues.
Collapse

Laura Bissio CT
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree! Sep 28, 2011

Alex Lilo wrote:

... sdl software is totally unpredictable and every now and then takes too much time to solve all kinds of issues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attempted to read or write protected memory

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »