Azeri language counted wrong by SDL TRADOS
Thread poster: Milim_Israel

Milim_Israel
Israel
Feb 1, 2011

I figured out very weird behavior of SDL applications (The issue exists in SDL Trados 2007(sweet) as well as in SDL Studio 2009 sp3). While running the analyzes on Azerbaijan source files, the word count appearing to be much bigger then the real one provided by MS word or by simply manual counting. I guess that some special Azeri character is not recognized by SDL and it causes the application to see it as a space.
I need to perform that kind of analyzes in order to price my projects. Please advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
No "real" word count Mar 7, 2011

As there are no replies here, perhaps you have solved this problem elsewhere, but here goes anyway!

This is always a problem with different software. Trados and Word use different rules for counting words, and the result is that the Trados word count is often vastly different from the Word word count.

For example, certain versions of Word will not count words in text boxes, whereas Trados will. Even different versions of MS Word will count the words in documents differently.

Of course, this is a problem from an invoicing point of view. You might want to try what my organization does, which is to apply the percentages of the document that fit into the various fuzzy bands to the Word document (ie. if 35% of the document is 100% matches, then apply that 35% to the Word word count for invoicing).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Azeri language counted wrong by SDL TRADOS

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search