Copying *only* the tag to the target segment possible?
Thread poster: kirameister
Feb 3, 2011

Hello

I'm now using SDL Trados Studio (Professional) SP3 - 9.1.2261.3 .

My task is to translate set of XML files, each of which contain lots of tags (or entities), which are shown in purple color in Trados Studio. My task of course requires to retain those tags in the translated text, so when there are many tags in source segment, I use the command "Translation | Copy Source to Target", which copies all the text (including tags) from current source segment to target segment.

# If there are only few tags in the source segment, I normally use "QuickPlace" command.

I was wondering if there is a way to copy only the tags in source cell to target cell. While I could copy the whole string, I still have to remove the plain-text in original language in target cell when translating. Being able to copy only the tags would make my life much easier.

Many thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use shortcuts instead Feb 3, 2011

I don't think so, but it is easy to use the shortcuts to insert tags: ctrl+shift+down to insert the first tag and alt+ctrl+right to insert the following.

Once you've used this method a few times, you will be able to work quickly.

kirameister
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes, shortcut key isn't really enough (for me, at least).. Feb 3, 2011

Hello Els Hoefman
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I've been using this command after assigning my own keyboard shortcut (so it'd be even easier for me to do my job).

But when I have more than 40 tags in one segment, it makes me look for such feature I mentioned above.

So far, I haven't found any such feature in the Trados help. I'm afraid, as you wrote, this is not (yet) available in Trados.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Impossible in Trados... CAT hopping... Feb 3, 2011

kirameister wrote:

But when I have more than 40 tags in one segment, it makes me look for such feature I mentioned above.

As a workaround, you can press Ctrl+Ins, then overwrite the source text.

So far, I haven't found any such feature in the Trados help. I'm afraid, as you wrote, this is not (yet) available in Trados.

In some extent, it's a step back, this funtion was available in SDLX (Ctrl+F4).

If you desperately need this function, consider some CAT hopping.
E.g. it's available in memoQ or DVX (both Alt+F8).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-02-03 12:52 GMT]

kirameister
TOPIC STARTER
It's a pity.. Feb 3, 2011

Hello Grzegorz Gryc

I didn't really know about the

As a workaround, you can press Ctrl+Ins, then overwrite the source text.

I think you mean this shortcut by "Copy Source to Target" command. I've already re-assigned this command to another shortcut (that was one of the first things I did when using the Trados for the first time). Together with "Translation | Copy Source to Target" command, they're by far the most frequently used commands in my environment

I didn't know the history behind, but find it a pity that it's not implemented anymore.. If hopping to another CAT would be the only option, I think I'll stay in Trados.

Thank you anyhow for your helps!

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this Feb 3, 2011

After „Copy All Source to Target”:

Go to Edit/Replace, check Use checkbox, select Wildcards and
Find: *
Replace with: nothing (leave that box blank)

to delete all characters and spaces from the target side.

kirameister
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps better to use Regular Expression Feb 4, 2011

István Hirsch wrote:

After „Copy All Source to Target”:

Go to Edit/Replace, check Use checkbox, select Wildcards and
Find: *
Replace with: nothing (leave that box blank)

to delete all characters and spaces from the target side.

Thank you very much! That's exactly the solution I was looking for!

In the original segments, there are sometimes many tabs used. I thought using regular expression in Find condition would make things even easier :

(1) Instead of using "Wildcards", select "Regular expressions"
(2) In "Find" condition, type [^\t\n]
(3) Click "Replace All".

This should retain the tab characters and new-line (CR+LF) characters in the target cell.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying *only* the tag to the target segment possible?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search