How to use the new SDLXLIFF Converter application?
Thread poster: Veronica Coquard

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 01:55
French to English
Feb 3, 2011

Hello,

I downloaded the new application offered on the SDL website that can apparently allow one to correct mistakes in Word before converting the file back to XLIFF format, saving the changes automatically to the TM. (Huzzah! Sounds great!)

Not being a techie, I would like to know how to go about using this application. After unzipping the file and saving it to my computer, is there another step before it can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alain Pommet  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
Install OpenXMLSDKv2.msi Feb 3, 2011

Hello,

Once you've installed it you also need to install MS OpenXMLSDKv2.msi to make it work as someone kindly pointed out in the comments section.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6E744E5-36E9-45F5-8D8C-331DF206E0D0&displaylang=en

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, I hadn't seen that. Feb 3, 2011

Merci, Alain. Je ne l'avais pas vu.

So now that all that's installed... Will it work automatically, or is there something else to know?

Thanks again!

Alain Pommet  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
Making it work Feb 3, 2011

Well, I've only tested it out very quickly on a sample sdlxliff file.

Select your file(s) and convert it. A word file of the same name but starting with 'Generated_' is created, but I see in the options you can create an excel file or an xml file alternatively if you want.

After editing your 'Generated_' file you can convert it back by selecting both the sdlxliff file + the 'Generated file' (the 3 dots on the right). This inserts any changes you have made into the sdlxliff file. I'm not sure of the status of any segments you've changed - haven't yet got round to looking into that.

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help, Alain! Feb 3, 2011

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use the new SDLXLIFF Converter application?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search