Thread poster: Signe Golly
Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:52
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

I translated a text in Trados 2009 and generated the target file in Word. It looks OK at first but as soon as I try to change anything, things get kinda weird.
It seems as if the file is in some kind of "proofreading mode."
I needed to change a word from italics to regular - the whole text turned purple! But it's still set to automatic/black at the top.
When I try to delete or edit anything else (including spaces), the words get a strike-through line instead. I can't delete an
... See more
I translated a text in Trados 2009 and generated the target file in Word. It looks OK at first but as soon as I try to change anything, things get kinda weird.
It seems as if the file is in some kind of "proofreading mode."
I needed to change a word from italics to regular - the whole text turned purple! But it's still set to automatic/black at the top.
When I try to delete or edit anything else (including spaces), the words get a strike-through line instead. I can't delete an extra space between two words, it just gets a strike-through line also.
I ran spell check. Any words that I corrected were crossed out or underlined for the old word and the replacement, respectively.
I tried copying and pasting the text into the source document and even just typing it in the source document (there are some graphics and formatting that I'd rather not mess with so starting from scratch would be the last resort) but the source document seems to have some weird built-in settings too and strange things happen.
Can't exactly deliver a purple text with strike-throughs and double words to my client.
What's going on??
Collapse

Alberto Odor
Alberto Odor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are in Review Mode Feb 3, 2011

It looks like as you have opened the file in Review mode with changes tracking on.
Depending on the Word version you are using you have to look in the menu for the Review section and uncheck it or inactivate it aswell as chenge tracking. Once you do that your document will look normal again.

Alberto Odor, MD

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:52
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alberto Feb 3, 2011

You're a lifesaver!
I think this setting got transferred over from the source document. I notice now that the file name ends in _edit. Kind of odd but all is well that ends well, right?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target text in "proofreading" mode?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »