Importance of Context and Source descriptive fields in bilingual TBs for Studio 2009
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:41
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Feb 4, 2011

Dear All,

I have never bothered to fill in the different descriptive fields for TB entries in Studio 2009 (for termbases created using the bilingual template those are: Subject, Note, Source, Status, Definition, Context), but I have decided to try using them now and I am just wondering (1) how would that affect the treatment of terms by Studio - when offering TB hits for example?

Also, (2) is there a functional difference between Source and Context fields - for example, should Context contain the immediate words surrounding the term only, and Source - the whole source segment, or maybe the Context field should contain the whole source segment, while the Source field can contain the name of the project the term was derived from?

(3) When entries are later exported (to be used with other CAT products for example) will this information be lost?

Your comments are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 21:41
Member (2009)
German to English
Freely definable Feb 4, 2011

Hi, Pavel,

In MultiTerm fields such as this are completely freely definable and are usually defined as text. They have no direct effect on the actual terms in Studio except to provide you with source and context info.

The source for example may hint how reliable the translation of the term is - a translation may even be sourced from your client. Although no there is no direct effect of these fields, you can define filters which say allow only one context to be used, e.g. context = automotive if you are translating within this engineering sector.

The fields are normally retained unless you define an export definition that strips them away. You can use a filter (also, say, filtered for a certain context) to export terms.
Here is an example of the use of these fields for a technical translation:

Source = Ernst Technical Dic.
Context = Model XYZ
Client = Acme Engineering

This info is only for information for the translator or for filtering the terms.

The information can be exported in a number of ways including tabular form for Excel. Whether a different CAT tool can import the terms though depends on the import features of the CAT used.

Personally, I find the fields a great help.

Roy

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:41
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 4, 2011

Hi, Roy!

Thank you for your post - it has been very helpful! I will try using the fields to find out what would work best for me.

Kind regards,
Pavel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importance of Context and Source descriptive fields in bilingual TBs for Studio 2009

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search