Trados Studio 2009 Freelance on two computers
Thread poster: Sanych_Msk

Sanych_Msk  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:56
Member (2010)
English to Russian
Feb 4, 2011

When I purchased Trados Studio 2009 Freelance I was licensed to install it on two different computers and I succeeded to do it.

Now the question is, how to act properly if I want to work with the same source file on two different computers in sequence: a couple of days on one computer, a couple of days on the other and so on.

I have a memory stick with the same structure of folders and subfolders. Usually, if it’s just MS Word or Excel files, I rewrite the daily job done from a hard disk on the memory stick, than rewrite it from the memory stick on another computer’s hard disk (with the same structure of folders and subfolders) and I continue the job from the place, where I was interrupted. And all my files are always properly sorted due to the different projects I take part in.

I tried something similar with Trados files (source MS Word file, sdlxliff file, translation memory, termbase). I found out, that after I rewrite files on the hard drive of my second computer, I need to tune the system anew, that is “to tell” Trados, which file containes my translation memory, termbase, etc.

Are there any recommendations (hints, methods, technique) how to deal with this problem properly?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:56
French to German
+ ...
Copy the project folder Feb 4, 2011

As Studio 2009 works project oriented, it always creates a project folder, even if you use the "Open Document" approach. This folder contains everything that is related to your translation project (source files, SDLXLIFF files, project TM, etc.).

This means that the easiest thing to do is to copy this entire project folder to your second PC (or to your USB stick) and then to use the command 'File - Open - Project" to import this project into the list of projects on your second PC. You may then work on this project in the same way as you did on the first PC.

Obviously, you'll need also to transfer the local TMs and termbases so that you can access them from the second PC.

Walter

How about using shared folder or DropBox? Feb 4, 2011

If both of the machines are located under the same network, it should be accessible via shared folder. You could do so by right-clicking the folder which contain your project files (and, if you'd like, TM file) and select "Share and Security" from context menu (I don't know the exact command in English version of Windows..).

Alternatively, you could use an online storage (and synchronization) service, such as DropBox or SugarSync. The files are stored online and can be read from properly-configured machines. In this case, both of the machines you're using must be connected to the Internet and files are stored in the cloud on the Internet.

In both cases, those files are automatically updated as you work on Trados. Because the work is saved in project files and TM (file), you should see the updated project contents when opening the files on other machine.

By the way, I personally find it extremely important to keep the TM file somewhere safe. By "safe", I mean non-local hard-drive, which crashes at certain probability.

Russian Federation
Member (2010)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work still … Feb 6, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:
This means that the easiest thing to do is to copy this entire project folder to your second PC (or to your USB stick) and then to use the command 'File - Open - Project" to import this project into the list of projects on your second PC. You may then work on this project in the same way as you did on the first PC.

Thank you very much Walter and sorry for me being silent for some time; I was just experimenting.

When I installed Trados for the first time, a lot of Trados sub-folders appeared in My Documents directory. I prefere to organize documents in a way convenient for me. So, I now have My Documents\Translation folder and within it have Project_A, Project_B, etc. sub-folders for my different Trados-based projects.

Just as you suggested me, I recorded on the hard disk of my second computer (via a USB memory stick) a folder named Project so-and-so with all its contents. Those were:
- Two sub-folders with “file types” content
- MS Word source file
- Termbase files (each one with four additional “index” files)
- TM file
- Source-target main translation sdlxliff file
- a "Project" file (this one - very small in size)
- A couple of *.tmp files (?)

I tried the approach you suggested (File -> Open -> Project), but it did not work out, Trados was suspended and “refused” to load any files and to start the job. When I stopped the software and tried to double-click the proper project file, the reaction was the same.

But it all worked out when I started Trados, closed the previous project I was translating on my second computer, and manually opened the proper sdlxliff file. The only hurdles were: Trados suggested to link to the project as default Termbases and TM’s from the previous translation job, not those located in proper project directory. So I just pointed out to Trados what Termbases and TM’s tp use (removed improper ones from the lists, added proper ones after browsing into the proper sub-folder). And after that I was able to continue translating starting from the segment where I stopped on my first computer.

I may suppose two reasons why plain one-click approach does not work in my case.

1. The fact, that I do not use Trados-installed default folders, but my own user-friendly folders
2. The fact, that my first computer works under Windows-7 and my second one under Windows XP.

Anyway, Walter, thank you very much for your time. I wonder if anybody else encounted similar problems.

Nikolay "Sanych" Remizov,
Moscow, Russia.

[Edited at 2011-02-06 04:17 GMT]

Russian Federation
Member (2010)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Backing up TM's Feb 6, 2011

kirameister wrote:
If both of the machines are located under the same network, it should be accessible via shared folder.
By the way, I personally find it extremely important to keep the TM file somewhere safe. By "safe", I mean non-local hard-drive, which crashes at certain probability.

Thank you very much, Mr. kirameister !

I do not think using TM on a shared disk via local net-work is a proper solution for me, as I have a "Freelance" Trados edition. And I was warned by our local Russian Trados distributor, that it should work properly only in individual mode.

I will use your advice about backing up TM's. I usually keep on 16G memory stick just any MS Office files I generated for the last years. And it is not a bad idea to keep there all Trados project folders with their content as well.

Nikolay "Sanych" Remizov,
Moscow, Russia.

[Edited at 2011-02-06 04:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 Freelance on two computers

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search