Trados 2007 Freelance: 1 for the price of 2?
Thread poster: Marc Baas

Marc Baas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2011

Hi all,

My wife had Trados installed on her laptop since she bought it late December 2008. She had some unfortunate mishaps with her laptop, and the one after that as well. Both broke down one way or another, and suddenly there was no more option to install Trados.
Thanks to the help of these forums we managed to get SDL to reactivate the licence and have the product reinstalled again. This took quite a bit of ranting though, but we got there in the end.

In those days SDL claimed that the licence was only meant to be installed on ONE PC. I always thought it was 2, but kind of let it be.

Now that we want to install Trados also on our PC (works much more comfortable than a laptop), I went to browse the Trados knowledge base. And I ran into this section:
    http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.735439658164978

On the bottom of the page it says clearly:
The activation code for the freelance version of SDL Trados 2007 can be installed on 2 computers.

What gives? Shouldn't we be able to install it on a second PC and activate it there as well, or am I missing something?

Also, why in the world does one have to pay seperately for support after having spent €700+ on a product? Never seen this practice in my life before.

Anyway, if anyone has a clue of how to get a second install going, I'd love to hear about it. I really am not going to pay for support to have SDL fix something they themselves got wrong in the end anyway. They should be paying for that.

Marc

[Edited at 2011-02-04 18:10 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Take a look at this thread... Feb 4, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123539-sdl_trados_2007_suite_freelance_on_two_computers.html

United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be part one.... Feb 4, 2011

Thanks for the link! That confirms what I found in the knowledgebase.

Problem is though, that due to two crashed computers, SDL only reset her licence to ONE activation and not two, as so many claim it should have.

Bleh, I dread having to deal with SDL support again, because not only are they rude and uneducated, they are not at all after helping a customer that spent a fortune on a product that really needs some heavy reviewing. And that is coming from an old time programmer himself.

Anyway, anyone got ideas on how to get support without having to fork out the old credit card?

These SDL people really got the customer service concept upside down. Haven't heard of a single person that likes those people....

Well, back to work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Marc

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Try this thread...:-) Feb 4, 2011

Hi Marc,

Maybe you'll find the answer in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/188947-sdl_support.html

Good luck!

Christa

United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks..... Feb 4, 2011

Thanks a lot Christa, I'll give that a try.

If only they would just put a link up on the first page that said: contact support.

That would save one the hours I have wasted on finding something useful...

Let's just hope it won't take for ever, since we have customers waiting and one unhappy translator (my wife in this case).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 Freelance: 1 for the price of 2?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search