Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Local time: 10:21
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 4, 2011

Hi,

this is probably a total beginner question, but I am not that familiar in working with .mdb files in SDL Lite 2006 and also not that good in MS Access. My question is how can I check my database for a specific terminology?

I had already applied TM to my SDLX file, but I would loke to be able to independetly check for a specific term or word that might appears in .mdb file as a reference to my new piece of translation.

I tried to open .mdb file directly in MS Access hoping I would see any Tab or Form pre-configured, but all I get is the basic field structure and no data is visible (to me, at least).

I am sure there must be a way for those who know what they are doing!

thank you in advance,

best

Soraya.

Direct link Reply with quote

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
F7 / menu option Feb 4, 2011

Have you tried the shortcuts (or the Lookup option in the menu)?

Simply highlight the word you'd like to look up and then use the menu (Translation Memory > Lookup) or the shortcut (I believe it's F7) to look it up.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
F8? Feb 4, 2011

Hi Simone, thanks for replying!

Ok, just tried Lookup feature (F8). You probably gave me the exact answer. So, if the term appears isolated (not on a phrase or whole segment) in my .mdb file, this will be identified, right? Sorry, I am an absolute beginner with this CAT tool.

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
F7 Feb 4, 2011

Oops, sorry, I confused the name of the menu option because I only use the shortcut.

F7 is the shortcut but the menu option I meant was Translation Memory > Concordance Search.

F8 will look up the whole segment, F7 will look up individual words. So in your case, F7 should work.

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 4, 2011

Thank you so much! This is exactly the feature I was looking for, to analyze independent words, so, yes f7 works just fine for me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using mdb files in SDLX

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search