Studio 2009: unable to merge sements
Thread poster: LouiseJ

LouiseJ
Local time: 07:28
Italian to English
Feb 9, 2011

Hello!

I am having problems trying to merge segments in Studio 2009.

I have tried following the instructions in the Intermediate training manual and on this webpage http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/MergeSeg.htm without success.

In other words, I followed this procedure:

Editor window - hold down ctrl key (or shift key as specified in the manual) - click on segment number and select rows - right click on segment number column of last selected row.

However, 'merge the selected segments' is not highlighted. I have also tried using the shortcut keys, but nothing happens.

The segments that I have tried to merge should belong to the same paragraph because the source text is similar to this example: (segment 1) Mr. and (segment 2) Jones

Thanks in advance for any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure there is no paragraph mark between the segments? Feb 9, 2011

In Studio you are NOT able to merge segments over segment boundaries.

If there is NO paragraph mark, you must make certain you cklick exactly at the number of the first segment in the segment number column, then press CTRL or SHIFT key, keep it pressed and click EXACTLY at the number of the next segment to be merged. Then the merge segement button should become active. If you use right click to get the merge function, please make sure your mouse cursor is on the segment number column. If you move it away and right click, the merge function will not be available.

Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 08:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Check the original file Feb 9, 2011

Have a look at the source file, there may be an invisible paragraph break. MS Word, for example, is known for inserting those accidentally where none should be present. Studio indeed cannot merge segments across paragraph breaks. If that is the case, you have to edit the source file first or translate the segments without merging (which often is hardly possible).

LouiseJ
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
How do I check whether there are paragraph marks? Feb 9, 2011

Thank you for your response.

I have tried again, following your instructions, but it doesn't work.
Is there a way to check whether there are paragraph marks?
Perhaps the problem originates from the fact that the *.itd file received from my customer has been generated from an OCR *.doc file (the original file was a scanned *.pdf)?
Maybe this has introduced paragraph marks here, there and everywhere?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can check that only in the source Feb 9, 2011

And if it is a converted PDF file it is very likely there is a paragraph mark there.
You need to reformat such source before translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: unable to merge sements

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search