Urgent: Service'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Project Management' could not be started
Thread poster: TFaulkner

TFaulkner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:55
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 9, 2011

Dear All,

When I first tried to initiate my Trados 2009 Sp3 this morning I got the following message:
Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started
... and Trados simply would not initiate. I restored my PC to an earlier moment and also tried to reinstall Trados, but I kept getting this same message.

Does someone have any idea of what this is, and how can I fix it? I have seen another thread about it, but it was for Macs, not PCs.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tais

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please delete the settings files Feb 9, 2011

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml

Then start Studio again.

United States
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 9, 2011

Thank you, Jerzy. I am afraid I am up for a big problem, though, because I could not find AppData.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What is your operating system? Feb 9, 2011

Although you were requested to post this information I cannot find it.
So I simply assumed you would have Windows 7.
Should this indeed be the case, please change the settings for Files and folders via Control Panel - Folder Options and let Windows show you all files, including system and hidden files. This is a well known problem with MS operating systems, that they hide many information from the user.

United States
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My operating system is indeed Windows 7 Feb 9, 2011

Please accept my apologies as I thought I had included this information within my first post.

I changed the settings for files and folders as you suggested, and I was finally able to find and delete 9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml and 9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml

... The bad news is that my problem persists: Trados keeps showing the same message, Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started

To see what happens!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I betted on the wrong horse Feb 9, 2011

Please accept my apologies, the solution was for another problem.
The solution to your poblem is described here http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2818&p=1

United States
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much!!! Feb 9, 2011

Jerzy,

Trados is working perfectly now! Thank you very, very much for helping/saving me. I truly appreciate it!

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:55
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Windows 7, Trados 2009 Jul 23, 2012

Tried everything that you suggested above - nothing helped.

Is it possible that you have other ways to make Trados run smoothly and start properly?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2012-07-23 03:56 GMT]

P.S. This is ridiculous - you mistakenly delete project files and Trados is now totally crashed! Didn`t they know that people sometimes delete files, even project ones? The only solution to this problem was to either stop using Trados 2009, or re-install Windows OS - but these both ways are not what I believe people from SDL should offer us.

Thank you again!

[Edited at 2012-07-23 04:00 GMT]

izaK
Polish to English
Trados cannot start Aug 7, 2014

I come bach with the same problem.
I re-installed Trados and the same message appers all the time.
I tried everything you suggested. Nothing helped.

Is there anyone who got over this problem differently?

Thank you.

Iza

Krzysztof Pawliszak
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Something that worked for me Mar 22, 2015

Open the error message. It should say which file is corrupted. In my case it was C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Studio 2011\Projects\ projects.xml. if you open it with a text/html editor (eg. Notepad++) it will show you that a tag within the xml file is not closed (so you can delete an item and close the last correct tag) or simply delete the file. Once you restart Trados you'll end up with an empty Projects list.

HTH

mits_ogawa
Local time: 20:55
English to Japanese
Worked in SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2 Sep 14, 2015

Thanks.
Simply deleting C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Studio 2011\Projects\ projects.xml worked.

Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:55
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem with SDL Trados Studio 2011, Windows 8 Jul 3

Dear All,

I have the same issue and tried to follow the steps suggested, however, nothing worked. Apart from that, some links suggested by fellows, such as http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2818&p=1, do not work anymore. Can anyone out there please help me? As usual deadlines are short!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Francis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Service'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Project Management' could not be started

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search