is it possible to save or view source text only in a bilingual Word document in Workbench
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:13
French to English
Feb 9, 2011

Help, my customer asked me to translate a pdf with columns containing the source language on the left and the target on the right, it's only a few pages but on completing the translation with Workbench (Trados 2007) I realise I have not kept a copy of the original source text, which I typed out myself as the pdf to Word conversion did not work. Therefore I'm trying to work out how to just view the source text so that I can copy it into another document, then by unchecking 'Tools, Option, Hide Text' I can view the target text only, then copy it into the target text column. But, foolishly, as I've not made a copy of the source text file only before starting the translation, I can't work out how to view JUST the source text in order to copy it for the formatting.

I've searched the forums but can't find an answer to this, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
un-hide and copy paste Feb 9, 2011

If my understanding that you have a bilingual (unclean) file is correct (*), the only thing I would think about spontaneously (hopefully some colleagues will have ideas to do it a simpler manner) would be:
1. to turn all your hidden text (source) into non-hidden, and your non-hidden text (target) into hidden, through MS Word's Search and replace option, and
2. to copy-paste only the text that will be then visible, i.e. the source, in your left column.

Of course you should do this on a copy of your bilingual file!

Another idea, and certainly quicker, would be to autotranslate your target text using your reversed TM (i.e. turning your target language into source and vice-versa). I know changing languages this way in a TM is feasible (it's already been addressed in these forums) but I never tried.

(*) if not you should have the bak file in your folder.

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Merci! Feb 9, 2011

Fantastic thanks Aude I'll try your very helpful suggestions.

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
welcome! Feb 9, 2011

I hope this will prove useful!
Bonne soirée !

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get PlusToyz Feb 10, 2011

This is a Word-doc with inbuilt macros. One will revert segmented documents back to source. PlusToyz is available at the Wordfast file location at Yahoo/groups.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

is it possible to save or view source text only in a bilingual Word document in Workbench

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search