Thread poster: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:20
English to French
+ ...
Feb 9, 2011

Dear all,

When performing a final verification at the end of a translation (F8), I follow the steps indicated in SDL's help, namely:

- (...) 3. In the Editor view, select Tools > Verify from the menu bar or press F8. (...) When the verification is complete, any errors found in the document are automatically displayed in the Messages window.
4. Double-click on a message in the Messages window to go to the translation where the error occurred.
5. Make changes to the translation to correct the error and then confirm the segment by pressing Ctrl+Enter to verify the segment again.

This can be very time consuming with long texts that generate a lot of notes (e.g. each and any hyperlink, when I do the verification, would count as a repeated word because of the double slash after "http").

Is there any way to display only the segments that are marked with an error/warning/note, in the same manner as one can display only the "New translated content", "Segments with comments" etc. in the Editor view?

i.e. something that would avoid having to come back and forth between the Messages window and the document window?

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Good idea... Feb 9, 2011

... but no. What you can do is detach the message window so it's floating and then select only the messages you want using the appropriate tab. Here I show only the errors from 41 messages :

Then if you double click each message in the detached message window the editor will take you to the relevant segment without losing focus on the messages themselves. Detaching the window is good because if you have a lot of messages and a seperate screen then you can expand the window on the other screen and it makes working through the messages easier.

I agree that a filter for this would be good idea though - maybe log it at ideas.sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Feb 10, 2011

Hi Paul,

Indeed, I did not think about detaching (and expanding) the Message window, that will make things much easier!
Plus that should allow to keep a view on it all the time (while by default it's hidden by the concordance window, if I am not mistaken).

I think your tip addresses most of the issue, but yes, I will submit the idea of a further display option at ideas.sdl.com - This option could make the whole verification process simpler I believe.

Many thanks

P.S. I do detach the Preview window and put it on a 2nd monitor in fact, and I agree it's extremely comfortable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - displaying only segments with an error/warning/note message

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search