Off topic: Is it possible to do the 3 levels of TRADOS training in 3 weeks?
Thread poster: Marian Muiños

Marian Muiños  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
English to Galician
+ ...
Feb 11, 2011

I would thank those who have knowledge about this tool to let me know your opinions on this topic. Proz is offering a good price for the trainings and the offer closes in a few hours. I would like to do the Getting Started, the Intermediate and the Advance training (3 hours each), every Tuesday along three weeks. Is it possible or too difficult to try it?
Marian (from Spain, highest level command of both English and Spanish)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is possible Feb 11, 2011

But the question is if it is feasible.
I for one would not do that. You need time to adapt to the software, so I would do the basics and then work with the software for a time to get the feeling of it. Then first I would go for the intermediate and look aftewards if I really need the advanced. This depends on the way you work and on formats you have to deal with.

Spain
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 11, 2011

Thank you for taking your time to answer, Mr Jerzy Czopic.

I am probably feeling somewhat overwhelmed at the fact that so many outsourcers require TRADOS and I am liable to stumble and fall as a victim of frenzy.
No doubt I would even be ready to give up sleeping hours to catch up and learn and practise as much as possible (since I am also presently working as a teacher, I would have to stretch time, which sounds rather like playing alchemy), but you make me wonder if this is such an urgent matter.
And, no, it is not urgent matter. So I will take it easy and do the Getting Started training first.
Yours sincerely,
Marián Muiños

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just try to take the basics Feb 11, 2011

When you work with the software then you will better and faster get the feeling of what you may need additionally.
Doing all thre levels may be a very good idea, however it may also very well happen, that you do then some parts you will never need. Needles to say that it will make you crazy, as the amount of information provided in the courses is huge - I know from experience, as I do hold those courses too.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
some training, yes; all in one go, no. Feb 11, 2011

If you have no experience at all with Trados, I don't think you'll be able to take it all on board in 3 weeks.
I would say that the Getting Started course would be a great help. Then you need to practise and practise. That's all it takes. It isn't hard to learn the basics, and with that level of knowledge you'll be able to work with it.

I left it so long between doing the 1st and 2nd courses that I actually knew almost all the intermediate and advanced content by the time I finally attended these courses, so I wouldn't recommend leaving it too long either

Spain
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! I´ve just bought the Getting Started. Feb 11, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If you have no experience at all with Trados, I don't think you'll be able to take it all on board in 3 weeks.
I would say that the Getting Started course would be a great help. Then you need to practise and practise. That's all it takes. It isn't hard to learn the basics, and with that level of knowledge you'll be able to work with it.

I left it so long between doing the 1st and 2nd courses that I actually knew almost all the intermediate and advanced content by the time I finally attended these courses, so I wouldn't recommend leaving it too long either

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to do the 3 levels of TRADOS training in 3 weeks?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search