Problem with IDML file - Cannot find central directory
Thread poster: candre
Feb 12, 2011

Hello all,

I received a file from a client in IDML. When I attempted to process the file in Trados Studio 2009, I received the message Cannot find central directory. I thought the file was corrupted, but I was able to open it up in InDesign without any problem. The client then sent me a second file in IDML, and again I had the same error message. To make sure it wasn't a problem with Studio, I created my own file in IDML and processed it without any problem in Studio. Does anyone ever had a problem like this with an IDML file? I wonder if the client has special settings in his InDesign that wouldn't be compatible with Studio. Also the option of saving the file in .INX is not an option for me as I only have InDesign CS5.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Corinne André

Direct link Reply with quote

candre
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved! Feb 13, 2011

I resolved my problem and I thought that I'd share it with you in case one day you encounter the same problem.
The problem was that I was missing some fonts used to create the file. Once I changed the fonts, the file opened up in Studio without any problem. Too bad the error message was not a bit more detailed, it would have saved me a lot of time.
Thank you all.

Corinne André

Atso Puronen
Local time: 06:03
English to Finnish
Solution #2 Sep 30, 2011

Hi Corinne,

I just bumped into the same issue but found out another reason for this: while my intention was to export the INDD as IDML, I accidentally used Save As function and saved as INDD with IDML extension!

Studio then thought it was a regular IDML file, while in reality it was an INDD file with IDML extension.

Apparently IDML files are only recoginized by their file extension.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with IDML file - Cannot find central directory

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search