Thread poster: Nathalie Ohana

Nathalie Ohana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
Member (2010)
English to French
Feb 12, 2011

Hello,
I have a very large document that I received in word format.
I opened it with Trados 2009.
I want to get the word count as well as the repetitions.
This should be possible through

tools > analyze> add file etc.

Yet, I cannot find the analyze button... Can someone help me please ?

Very best,
Nathalie

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:29
English to French
+ ...
Reports/files view Feb 12, 2011

Hello,

Once you have created your project, select it (so it appears in bold in the Projects view) and go to the Reports view in the left hand pane.
This will generate the report (including the analysis) for the file(s) in the project.
You can then save/print the report using the "report" tab located in the menu at the very top of the window.

ETA:
You can also *see* the analysis in the Files view: select the file an click on the "Analysis statistics" tab at the bottom.

All this works only if you have created a project and asked for the file to be analysed during the preparation step (but I think it is always by default).
If not one during the preparation step for any reason,
select your project (projects view), then go to the files view, select the *source* language at the upper left of the windows (below the word "Files" in blue), right click in the main window, use "add file" to add the file and then right click on the file name and select one of the options (each of them either include or consists in the analysis).

HTH
Aude

[Edited at 2011-02-12 08:45 GMT]

United States
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No reports available Feb 12, 2011

Thank you.
When I do that, it says "no reports available".
I kind of have the feeling I have missed a step somewhere but I don't really know where...
Nathalie
PS thanks for your VERY fast and clear response

Attila Magyar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Project menu Feb 12, 2011

The Analyse button can be found here: Project>Batch tasks>Analyse files.
But first you have to save your newly created project to activate this button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Attila

Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Files view Feb 12, 2011

Hello, Nathalie,

don't you have the statistics in the lower part of the screen in the Files View?
Another possibility is to select the project, right click, batch tasks, word count.

I am (still) not an experienced user of Studio 2009, but I hope it helps.

Regards

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:29
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Process as a batch Feb 12, 2011

You must search at tools > process as a batch > analyze> add file >see report.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
additional comments Feb 12, 2011

Nathalie Ohana wrote:

Thank you.
When I do that, it says "no reports available".
I kind of have the feeling I have missed a step somewhere but I don't really know where...
Nathalie
PS thanks for your VERY fast and clear response

Hello Nathalie,

You replied while I was editing my post to complete it. See the last paragraph, maybe this could help you in case you actually missed a step.

Aude

United States
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Saving step Feb 12, 2011

Thanks to all.
Attila gave the clue here ! I needed to save my project BEFORE I could go to batch tasks. So I did, and got the file analyzed. I have it all now.
A big thank to all of you, you are incredible.
Have a great and productive week end !
Nathalie

Aurélie Charvet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Annoying analysis process Feb 12, 2011

Hi,

For my part, I find it quite annoying to have to go through the whole "new project" process before seeing the analysis of the file.

If a customer sends me a file and I want to check the number of words and the repetitions (to set a deadline for example), I don't like wasting 5 minutes (or more since opening Trados takes a long time on my computer!) setting all the parameters when I only want to see the analysis. Especially since it may be that I won't accept the project in the end.

I don't know if other people feel the same about this.

United States
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Analyzing Feb 12, 2011

Yes, Aurélie, I do agree.
Particularly when you have a very large file like the one I had. (over 200.000 words)
Might be a feature to suggest to Trados.
Thanks.
Nathalie

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Quite agree Feb 12, 2011

Aurélie Charvet wrote:

Hi,

For my part, I find it quite annoying to have to go through the whole "new project" process before seeing the analysis of the file.

If a customer sends me a file and I want to check the number of words and the repetitions (to set a deadline for example), I don't like wasting 5 minutes (or more since opening Trados takes a long time on my computer!) setting all the parameters when I only want to see the analysis. Especially since it may be that I won't accept the project in the end.

I don't know if other people feel the same about this.

In Trados 2007 all you have to do is open a suitable TM and click to the 'Analyse' window.
It makes an enormous difference when a client sends you 5000 words and half are repeats... to whether you take on the job at all, or to your quote when you do.

If you are not going to accept the job, then it is all 'gone' when you close the program, but it does not take long to analyse a handful of files and get an idea.

Not only is it a waste of time setting up a project for a job you might not accept, but you then have to remove it and waste more time afterwards.

I am getting to like Studio 2009, but have not tried to analyse files with it yet.

What about asking for an 'instant analysis' option like Trados WB on SDL's suggestions page and voting for it?

(I have been travelling and have a VERY long 'to do' list right now, but will add this to it anyway.)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Analysing Files Feb 12, 2011

Hi,

If you are interested in trying out a new OpenExchange Application I have on Beta let me know and I'll make it available for you. This application allows you to select some files, add your Translation memories and analyse them without opening Studio at all. The output can be in Excel too.

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds great application Feb 12, 2011

Thanks SDL Support, that really sounds great, considering also there is no word count on Excel.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Word count in Excel... Feb 12, 2011

... maybe I confused you. The output of the analysis can be in excel. Not that you have to count the data using excel... or am I confused :-|

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
My misunderstanding Feb 12, 2011

I'm sorry Paul, you are far from confused. It was my misunderstanding. I understand now.
Thanks.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Analyze" can't be found on Trados 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search