Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 12, 2011

At the beginning of a three year project I was given a glossary with the approved terminology. Now this glossary is going to be reviewed and changed profoundly.
What would be the easiest method to take the changes into the TM?
I could search and replace in the txt-export in Word, but due to the nature of the Finnish language search and replace is not appropriate, whole sentences need to be rephrased.
Is it somehow possible to convert the TM so that I can re-translate it using a termbase with the new glossary?
This would be easier than re-translating hundreds of documents.
Is there a tool for conversion of a tmx into a bilingual document for use in WB or WFC?

Thanks for suggestions!

Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2011-02-12 10:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 14:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What I would do... Feb 12, 2011

Is to convert the TMX to a tab delimited file, then pick the source text out of that and "translate" it with the original TM and the new glossary.
Of course it also depends on how many TUs there are, how many terminology changes take place and how crucial it is to catch every occurrence of the changed terms. If you could generate a bilingual sdlxliff, you could use that, perhaps more conveniently, but it appears you don't have Studio.

Also, even though suffixing makes full global search and replace impossible, you should probably still use global search and replace to some extent. E.g. insert spaces before and after the search terms to restrict the search to full-word hits, or just use "match whole word" in Studio's TM editor. You can also throw in match case for good measure. One-by-one search and replace is probably also worth a try. Hitting the "Replace" and "Next" keycombos is faster than screwing around in the text manually.
If you don't have Studio, you could use MS Word, or, even better, Notepad++, or Perl if you are into programming.
If the glossary is very large with many changes, it would be trivially easy to write a perl script that does all the replacements in one fell swoop.

To get a tab delimited file from your TMX, you could use Xbench, which does tab delimited exports, or my TMX converter on sourceforge (grab bag). To get the source text from the tab delimited txt, copy-paste to excel, select the appropriate column and copy-paste it into a text file. Or use Notepad++ or perl if the file is very large.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Studio Feb 12, 2011

And the TM is from Trados 2007. How to get the sdlxliff?

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't know Feb 12, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And the TM is from Trados 2007. How to get the sdlxliff?

You might be able to use this: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2

It's designed for an SDLXLIFF->xls->SDLXLIFF roundtrip, but you may be able to create a bilingual sdlxliff with it from an xls. You may very well need a dummy sdlxliff with the same number of segments in it for this to work.
The only advantage of an sdlxliff would be that the sdlxliff would already have the target text in it, you wouldn't need to rely on getting the original translations from the TM.
Of course it should also be relatively easy to generate sdlxliff with perl or advanced search and replace in Notepad++, but "relatively easy" might be a misleading phrase depending on your computer skills.
What you do is take an existing sdlxliff that is exactly like the one you want to generate except for the actual text, keep the header and footer and insert between the two a new body section with your text in it. In Notepad++, the regex should be about like this, starting from a tab separated file:
^([^\t]*)\t(.*)$
replaced with:
[lotsoftags]\1[somemoretags]\2[yetmoretags]
...with the tags copied from the donor sdlxliff. I have never done this but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

If this is all Greek to you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just importing the source text and leveraging the TM should work.

Of course, some knowledgeable collegue might pop in any moment now and suggest a much better solution, this is just me thinking aloud.

How many segments are there in this TM, by the way?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Here's a couple of ideas to ... Feb 12, 2011

... add to Farkas.

Idea 1
Create a new SDLTM in Studio
Import your TMX as plain text
Export the result as TMX again (now tag free)
Create a new TMW in Workbench
Import the new TMX into the TMW
Export as TXT
Adapt the plain text filetype in Studio as follows (or for whatever languange you need):

Now open the TXT TM in Studio and translate it using a new SDLTM for update and the one containing the original TMX at the start as a reference

Idea 2
Import your TMX as plain text or with tags (your call)
Import your TMX to Aspic Workbench
Export it as a tab delimited TXT file
Open the file in Excel and remove all columns apart from the source and target
Hide the column you don't want to translate and save as an xslx
Now open the xslx in Studio and translate it using a new SDLTM for update and the one containing the original TMX at the start as a reference

That's it. I don't know how good Aspic is but my tests both seemed to work equally well.

Regards

Paul

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions! Feb 13, 2011

I will tell you what I did and how I succeeded.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
workflow Feb 13, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Idea 2
Import your TMX as plain text or with tags (your call)
Import your TMX to Aspic Workbench
Export it as a tab delimited TXT file
Open the file in Excel and remove all columns apart from the source and target
Hide the column you don't want to translate and save as an xslx
Now open the xslx in Studio and translate it using a new SDLTM for update and the one containing the original TMX at the start as a reference

That's exactly the process I was talking about, except that I would just copy-paste the relevant column into a word or txt file and translate that with Studio. Of course leaving the previous translation in the xlsx (hidden) could prove to be useful down the line, so why not do it that way, I guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changed glossary, how should I update TM

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search