Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Local time: 19:03
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 12, 2011

Hi all,

I would like to know if Trados (any version) is compatible with LibreOffice (former OpenOffice), the open source alternative for MS Office?

I would like to build up a TM, but I would like to work with LibreOffice package instead.

Thanks in advance,

Soraya.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:03
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes Feb 12, 2011

Yes. I can handle *.idt files etc. in Trados 2009 and created TMs successfully.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 12, 2011

Thank you!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just a little confused..! Feb 12, 2011

Hi Soraya,

What do you mean exactly when you say you want to work with Libre Offfice? Do you just want to translate material generated in Libre Office or are you expecting the old Trados Toolbars to be available in Libre Offfice?

Personally I have not experience with this product so I'm not sure what the answer is to either of these questions.

If Soonthon has satisfactorily answered your question that's great, but I'm curious to know more?

Thanks

Paul

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't understand... Feb 12, 2011

Soonthon Lupkitaro wrote:
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner wrote:
I would like to know if Trados (any version) is compatible with LibreOffice (former OpenOffice), the open source alternative for MS Office?

I don't understand the answer, Soonthon. LibreOffice doesn't have files with an ITD file extension, does it?

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:03
Italian to English
+ ...
maybe .odt files? Feb 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Soonthon Lupkitaro wrote:

I don't understand the answer, Soonthon. LibreOffice doesn't have files with an ITD file extension, does it?

Maybe he meant .odt files?

In any case, Libre Office and oo.org can save files to either .doc or .docx format fine and can be used in Tag Editor. My experience is only with Trados 2007. Don't own 2009.

R.
==

[Edited at 2011-02-12 14:20 GMT]

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.odt Feb 12, 2011

Hi!

thanks Samuel, Paul and Rick,

well, Paul, let me explain: I have a huge file of content (it is actually my thesis) almost finished, so my 'experiment' would not be for a client or professional service but for myself. I have switched to Libre Office, although I do have MS Office 2003 still installed in my PC.

I have only SDLX. I have a new laptop (windows 7) now and I am not planning to purchase full MS Office, since I am pretty satisfied with Libre Office and I do have a Lite Package of MS pre-installed (only word and excel).

I was wonder if I could use my .odt file directly or even integrate Trados to my Libre Office text editor, so I could build up a Term Base.

I am not that experient with Trados and I was curious to know it I could have it integrated with Libre Office suite.

does it make sense?

best,

Soraya.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
No way Feb 12, 2011

I am not that experient with Trados and I was curious to know it I could have it integrated with Libre Office suite.

If you mean Trados Workbench, it won't integrate into LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org (or anything else except for Microsoft Word). Trados TagEditor is supposed to handle ODT files, but I can't confirm.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I see now Feb 12, 2011

Hi Soraya,

You can probably translate your odt files in Studio (assuming are the same as that from Open Office), but you won't be able to integrate the Trados Toolbar into Libre Office.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and LibreOffice

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search