Why is Studio contacting Google APIs??
Thread poster: xxxMarkAlexande
xxxMarkAlexande
Local time: 14:51
Feb 13, 2011

I've just discovered that Studio 2009 seems to be making use of the Google Libraries API every time a new document is imported. I guess I'm kind of curious as to why.

I had no internet connection tonight when I opened Studio and imported a new document into it. Although it was a standard ".doc" file, it was for a website and did have HTML links in it, so when Trados gagged on the import saying "failed to locate ajax.googleapis.com", I figured there was javascript in the file itself trying to phone Google. First, I blew up all the links by hand. Reimported, no dice. Then I changed the entire file to a straight text file, reimported, still no dice. In spite of the fact that there was no script reference. Logically, then, it must be Studio demanding the API site.

Hooked back up to the internet, tried again. This time, no problem. I also monitored my internet connection on a graph, and watched Trados make contact as the file was imported. This also cleared up a mystery that's bugged me before: why does it take even a 2-page file half-a-minute or more to clear the last three steps (from "analysis") in the preparation batch process? Answer: Studio is making contact with Google.

So, like -- what if I want to import a document while I'm working in a log cabin in the middle of the forest? And isn't there a more efficient way to do it than using Ajax and the Google libraries every time a new doc is imported? Can't this functionality be coded straight into Trados to work offline without having to go to a third-party site? I'd sure love it if I didn't have time for a cup of tea every time I import a moderately long document into SDL Studio.

Can anybody clear this up?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not for me Feb 13, 2011

MarkAlexander wrote:
I've just discovered that Studio 2009 seems to be making use of the Google Libraries API every time a new document is imported.

I tried this on my computer (Win XP Pro SP2, Trados 20009 SP2). Trados is not on my firewall's list of programs, so I would get messages whenever Trados might try to connect to the internet.

I tried opening several files, but Trados never contacted Google. The only link that Trados tried to make (and not always either) is to Verisign's site, and there doesn't seem to be any difference in behaviour whether I allow or disallow Trados to contact Verisign.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Google Translate switched on? Feb 14, 2011

Sounds like you have Google Translate actived in your list of TMs, although it shouldn't be on by default.

Look in the list of TMs whether Google Translate is in it.

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
That's probably it. Feb 14, 2011

OK, thanks guys. Marinus, you're very likely to be right -- I do have Google Translate on the project I imported the file to. So that's what's going on and that's why Samuel couldn't recreate the problem.

The delay in importing documents did seem to get worse at some point -- and I'll bet it was when I began using Google Translate on almost all of my projects. I'm a "grouper" (not the fish -- I just use a few megaprojects and load new files into the project category where they belong. So when Google got included on those, it slowed things down, apparently.

I do wish Studio had better error handling. When an exception is thrown (at least once a week), I typically don't get user-friendly exceptions but something more cryptic (to me, as a user not a programmer), pretty much what you'd get from a traceback when debugging. A proper error-handling routine could have caught the fact that Google's not reachable, stepped over the section of code that loads it, and then notified me Google wouldn't be available. Rather than leaving me to figure it out, with your help. It seems to me that this kind of error handling is broadly missing in Trados. Just sayin', for anyone from SDL who happens to read this

Thanks again.

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Example cryptic error message Feb 15, 2011

Just as an example of a cryptic error message, this morning on importing a short file into Studio 2009, the file imports correctly but upon opening throws:

"Value cannot be null. Parameter name: setup.LanguageDirection.TargetCulture"

I know the null value exception is useful for your programmers. But I see too many of these things of various descriptions as a user. Most of them are not fatal, but some require that I close and reopen Trados. I would rather just see the pertinent information – "Trados Studio 2009 has become unstable. Please try to close and re-open", in this case, and have the traceback-type messages written to a log file, if the problem turns out to persist.

There's something about being shown a dialog box with a big red X labeled "Error" that unsettles me. Given that, for whatever reason, Studio throws these little exceptions pretty regularly, better error handling could substantially smooth the user experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Studio contacting Google APIs??

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search