Price per line instead of word in Trados TagEditor?
Thread poster: Kristina Staude

Kristina Staude  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:24
Member (2009)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2011

Hi!
One of my clients wants to charge me per LINE for translations made in TagEditor. Does anybody know if this is possible? The only way, as far as I understand, is to estimate how many words a standard line consists of and then use the Trados analysis. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any help!

/Kristina Staude

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
That's the way. Feb 17, 2011

Kristina Staude wrote:

Hi!
One of my clients wants to charge me per LINE for translations made in TagEditor. Does anybody know if this is possible? The only way, as far as I understand, is to estimate how many words a standard line consists of and then use the Trados analysis. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any help!

/Kristina Staude

Exactly, that's how you do it.

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Convert character number into lines Feb 17, 2011

Trados also counts the characters (without spaces), so you can take that amount, add the number of words to account for the spaces and divide the sum by 50 or 55 (depending on your definition of a line).

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Normzeile Feb 17, 2011

Hello,
This topic was just discussed in another article.

"Lines" are a standard unit for invoicing in Germany = 55 characters with spaces in the target [NOT source!] text. [= find number of characters, divide by 55, round to next whole number and then multiply by price per line]

If you're interested: Google "JVEG" and then search "Übersetzer" within the text or in the table of contents. As Matthias says, some people use 50 (or also 60), but 55 is the standard definition

This has nothing to do with the actual number of lines in a document!

Sincerely,
Michael

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Ask the client? Feb 17, 2011

I wonder why the client asks for a calculation per line for a TagEditor translation. If they do, they must know a way of doing this, and will probably expect that you use exactly the same way. As Michael stated, it is important to know whether your client means source or target lines. For target lines, my only idea is to clean up the document and count the characters afterwards (with Word or Workbench or whatever the client wants).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price per line instead of word in Trados TagEditor?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search