Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2011

Hi,
I'm new to SDL Trados Studio 2009 and am hoping somebody can help me with this error message!!
I had previously been using Trados Freelance 2007 but a client specifically asked me to try Studio so I am using the trial version for now to see how I get on with it.
I have already managed to successfully translate a package and return it to the client but I am now trying it with an individual (small) file for another job.
I've already translated the file and am happy with
... See more
Hi,
I'm new to SDL Trados Studio 2009 and am hoping somebody can help me with this error message!!
I had previously been using Trados Freelance 2007 but a client specifically asked me to try Studio so I am using the trial version for now to see how I get on with it.
I have already managed to successfully translate a package and return it to the client but I am now trying it with an individual (small) file for another job.
I've already translated the file and am happy with everything but I can't seem to save the target document! Whenever I try to use "save target as" I get the message "Failed to save target content: Invalid plug-in info string:
The file was originally in Microsoft Word but I found that I couldn't open it in Studio that way so I saved the file in Open Office Writer (ODF) and managed to transate it that way. Is that the problem?
I'd appreciate any help as it's very frustrating that I've done the work and can't get to the finished file!!
Thanks
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
English
Can we see the file? Feb 17, 2011

Hi Suzanne,

If you can send me your SDLXLIFF and the source file (the ODF) I'd be happy to take a look for you?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Keep us posted Feb 17, 2011

It's always interesting to know the issues/bugs/limitations/workarounds, so please keep us posted, both of you.

As to the issue, the fact that you couldn't open the source file as a word doc indicates that there is something badly wrong with the source file. Unfortunately, that's not unheard of, the MS Word document format being what it is (fiendishly complicated and quite troublesome for translators).
One solution would be to resave again in, say, rtf. Then you can open the r
... See more
It's always interesting to know the issues/bugs/limitations/workarounds, so please keep us posted, both of you.

As to the issue, the fact that you couldn't open the source file as a word doc indicates that there is something badly wrong with the source file. Unfortunately, that's not unheard of, the MS Word document format being what it is (fiendishly complicated and quite troublesome for translators).
One solution would be to resave again in, say, rtf. Then you can open the rtf in Studio and hopefully just harvest your translations from the TM. Don't forget to confirm all segments and update the TM with your new translations before that, though.

It would be interesting to know more about the source document. Was it doc or docx? Anything out of the ordinary in the content? Embedded images, text boxes, diagrams?
Collapse

Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried rtf, didn't work Feb 18, 2011

Thanks both,
I did actually try opening it as an rtf and I got "Error when pre-tweaking file: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." That's why I used the ODF, it was the only way I could get it to open!
The file is very simple and straight-forward, just a short document with text only, absolutely nothing that should cause a problem.
In the end I exported the TM and used my old software (Freelance 2007) to retranslate it so that I could create the target f
... See more
Thanks both,
I did actually try opening it as an rtf and I got "Error when pre-tweaking file: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." That's why I used the ODF, it was the only way I could get it to open!
The file is very simple and straight-forward, just a short document with text only, absolutely nothing that should cause a problem.
In the end I exported the TM and used my old software (Freelance 2007) to retranslate it so that I could create the target file.
I wonder whether it has something to do with the fact that I'm using it in the trial version?
Paul - thank you for your kind offer. I will send you an email now.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
text only Feb 18, 2011

Suzanne Smart wrote:

Well, that's what it looks like. It probably isn't the case.
Two possibilities:
a) Your Trados install is broken.
b) There is something "wrong" with the file, "wrong" meaning somthing Studio has problems with. That could easily be something that's not visible in the document.

If the document is largely unformatted text anyway, the easiest solution is usually to copy-paste it to a .txt (Notepad) and copy-paste it back to a blank, new .doc. That strips all the formatting and any hidden weirdness from the .doc. Then you can add back the bold, italic etc. formatting and import it to Studio. Supposing that the problem is caused by b) above, of course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio - Invalid plug-in info string

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »