Thread poster: Tina Dolinar

Tina Dolinar  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2013)
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2011

Hello,

We installed Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on the Company's server, activation was successful, on SDL TRADOS→My Account→My Licenses this activation was recognised (the Company had 1 activation code with 2 extra activations possible; I used 1 extra activation and it was recognised as "In Use"). However, the activation wizard still appears every time I start any of the Trados tools, and the License Manager cannot find any available licenses (under License Status) but displays the activation code when I click on the View Activated Licenses button (State: ok, Expires: permanent).

I tried to find a solution on the Internet, and I found this:

When starting, SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition unexpectedly shows activation prompt

Symptoms
When starting SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition, the application unexpectedly shows a prompt to activate the product, although you have already entered a valid activation code. This prompt shows each time the application starts.

Explanation
This is a known issue in SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition and occurs in the first 30 days after installing the product for the first time. In these first 30 days, SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition does in fact not yet run in Starter Edition mode but rather runs in trial mode for the Professional Edition. This mode supersedes the Starter Edition mode and offers full Professional mode functionality (such as being able to create new projects, a feature that is not available in Starter), but it puts Studio in trial mode so Studio "thinks" it is unlicensed and so re-displays the prompt every time the application is started. After 30 days, the Professional Trial license will expire and revert to Starter Edition mode. The prompt will no longer be shown.

Resolution
Follow these steps:
When the prompt appears, do not re-enter your activation code. Simply choose the option to continue in trial mode.
After the 30 days of Professional trial, the software will start normally without showing the activation prompt and from then on will work in Starter Edition mode.

I though this might also be the problem in our case, but unfortunately it was not. A couple of days ago I returned the activation code and SDL TRADOS→My Account→My Licenses indicated this action. Please, suggest what to do; we need all Trados tools running as soon as possible. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Tina Dolinar

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:23
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Separate licences Feb 19, 2011

I'm not sure if this will help to solve your problem, but are you aware that Trados 2007 and Studio are two separate applications with two separate licences?

If you have only activated your Trados 2007 licence, then Studio will keep asking you to activate the Studio licence.

Slovenia
Member (2013)
Slovenian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using Trados 2007 not Studio Feb 20, 2011

Hi,

thank you for the quick reply. Sorry, but I haven't made myself clear enough - we are not using the Studio application, I wasn't aware that Trados and Studio were two separate applications, sorry again. Our IT guy installed Trados 2007 Suite Freelance - the mentioned 30 days' wait period doesn't apply to our problem then Please, suggest what to do in our case. Thank you.

BR,
Tina

Slovenia
Member (2013)
Slovenian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLUTION DO NOT ACTIVATE TRADOS VIA REMOTE DESKTOP Feb 22, 2011

Hello,

I have found the solution to my problem:

"If you perform the licensing remotely via a remote desktop technology, the License Status window in your License Manager shows no valid licenses. This is by design. According to our licensing policy activation codes do not function with remote desktop. As soon as you disconnect, the license will get active." (http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.0364760160446167, under "Note").

The server has now recognised the activation code, but Trados still doesn't work via remote desktop (still only in demo mode)- to be able to use it in such a manner, we will have to buy the floating licence.

BR,
Tina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PLEASE HELP - TRADOS ACTIVATED BUT RUNNING ONLY IN DEMO MODE

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search