https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/192484-tip_how_not_to_skip_numbers_in_old_trados2007.html

Tip: how not to skip numbers in old Trados2007
Thread poster: Adam Bojan
Adam Bojan
Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:56
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2011

Hi all,
Problem: Trados2007 (TW, TE) skips / omits numbers, and places them outside the translation pairs. A known issue.

I would like to suggest here a solution I have just tested and it seems to work.
1. Create two macros in word
a) macro1 - changes all numbers to letters. You need letters that are unique and do not appear in your translation. In my case I use some letters of the Cyrillic alphabet. So the macro changes "0" into "Љ", "1" into "Ж" and so on.
... See more
Hi all,
Problem: Trados2007 (TW, TE) skips / omits numbers, and places them outside the translation pairs. A known issue.

I would like to suggest here a solution I have just tested and it seems to work.
1. Create two macros in word
a) macro1 - changes all numbers to letters. You need letters that are unique and do not appear in your translation. In my case I use some letters of the Cyrillic alphabet. So the macro changes "0" into "Љ", "1" into "Ж" and so on.
b) macro2 - reverses all changes of macro1. So in my case it changes "Љ" back into "0", "Ж" into "1" and so on.
c) for easier use, asign those macros to buttons.
2. Now open your text to be translated and run macro1.
3. Use TW to translate (=pretranslate). The converted numbers in 2. should now be seen as text to translate and placed between tags.
4. Open the bilingual file (unclean) and run macro2. This way you will get the numbers back, but this time between tags.
That's all.
I hope it will help someone.

I have also found a way to work on bilingual word files (the old uncleaned type) in Sdl Trados Studio. To do this, you need to go through SDL edit (Sdlx), but it works for me better than the TTX->Studio->TTX workaround. If someone is interested please let me know and I will give a detailed description of the procedure.
Best
AB
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast Feb 19, 2011

Hi Adam,

For Word files, Wordfast can be used for presegmentation. No need for new macros I think.

In Pandora's Box
CopySourceWhenNoMatch
SegmentAll

But for other file types supported by TagEditor, one should create macros for inx or ppt files as well. It may worth trying in large projects for Trados users.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: how not to skip numbers in old Trados2007

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »