Analyzing for matches in source text
Thread poster: Signe Golly

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:40
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2011

So, Trados 2009 is driving me up the wall as usual! Apparently I just can't figure out how to do anything in this program and I find the help files to be, well, not helpful.
Soooo basic, I know - I need to analyze a source text (I haven't started translating it yet but I have saved the file and I also tried setting up a project with the file).
Just wanna know how many 100% and fuzzy matches are in there. I've tried analyzing the file from batch tasks and it looks like it's doing it but I don't know where to view the results. Nothing is showing up in the Reports view and when I view the task results within the analyzing feature it also just goes to the empty reports view
Any help would be much appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio analysis pretty much useless Feb 20, 2011

Hi Sgolly

This may not be of much help, but I've stopped calculating fuzzy matches with Studio a while ago when I found out that Studio makes a mess of it. It doesn't create fuzzy matches in the manner Trados used to, so now the way it arrives at a certain match value is a complete mystery. It was never very good to begin with, but SDL succeeded in making it worse with Studio.
You can't sell fuzzy matches below, say 85% anymore, because they may contain a lot more translateable text than you were expecting.
And then there is trouble you have to go through to get an analysis! I think you'd be better off exporting the TM, importing it into a Trados 2007 TM and analysing it with the Trados Workbench.

Good luck!

- Marinus

Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No TM Feb 20, 2011

I guess I should clarify: I don't have a TM for the project but since the source file is rather large (20,000+ words) and there are clearly many repeated sentences, I know there would be a lot of segments that will get filled in automatically as I go along with the translation. So I'm just trying to find out ahead of time exactly how many repetitions are in there so I can give my client the best possible bid without cheating myself.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Analysing Projects Feb 20, 2011

Hi Sgolly,

You can analyse a project without a TM when you set the Project up, and the default report will look something like this after you create your Project and then click on Reports and then the Analyze Files report:

I'm wondering whether you used to be an SDLX user because this was a common practice in SDLX. We did add an option a few releases ago for SDLX users that you can find in All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Analyze Files here:

From the help: "Internal fuzzy match analysis calculates the maximum additional leverage that can be obtained by the translator interactively translating the document with a translation memory. It assumes that the translator will translate the document from start to end, segment by segment. After each segment is confirmed, the translation memory is updated, and the best match applied to the next segment."

The results this option displays when I created the project is as follows and this may be more what you are after? Note the additional set of information provided now:

Obviously using a TM will also give you an analysis based on things you have already done, but using this method was quite common for many SDLX users, particularly if you wanted to have a blank sheet that accurately represented your progress trough the translation.

One other thing worth noting is that there is an Open Exchange Application in Beta at the moment that allows you to do an analysis without having Studio open at all. I would be happy to make this available for you if you would like to test it and this may be useful for you, but it does require you to have a TM (you could keep an empty one available for the time being), but I will add this usecase to the developers requirements for the future.

Regards

Paul

Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Feb 20, 2011

Thanks a bunch, Paul. Your directions helped a lot!
I think my problem had something to do with going straight into the Reports view rather than using the "View" tab from the Projects page. I created a new project with the file I needed to analyze and then once the project was established, I selected View>Reports and from there I selected Analyze on the left as instructed. Perfect!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Good news Feb 21, 2011

Hi Sgolly,

I'm glad that helped. In the meantime I thought about how to make this easier so drafted a quick blog on this here:

All I want is a simple analysis : http://tinyurl.com/simple-analysis

This just extends the idea of using Projects to having one specifically for Analysis only and then the whole process is much faster after the first one.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analyzing for matches in source text

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search