Waiting list for Group Buy - SDL Trados Studio 2009 + Free AutoSuggest Creator!
Thread poster: sam@fr-uk

sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
French to English
Feb 20, 2011

Hi,

I need to buy Trados fairly soon, but I obviously want the best deal possible, as it's so pricey.

I'm now 14th on the waiting list for this Trados group buy. I was just wondering how long the company waits for people on the main list to pay up before offering the deal to people in the waiting list? It's been a week since the sale was closed. If it's going to take another few weeks, perhaps I should look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Negotiate Feb 21, 2011

In my experience SDL is very keen on selling Studio, since apparently it hasn't been accepted by agencies as SDL had figured it would and the competition, particularly MemoQ, offers products that are at least as good (debatable, I know) at a much lower price. Actively negotiate. Openly say that you saw an offer on ProZ at such-and-such a price and that you would consider buying it if they can make you that same offer. I did this with MemoQ and within a week or so I had an offer with the same discount as in the best group buy on ProZ.

Good luck!

sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2011

Thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful reply. That's useful to know and I'll definitely give it a shot - nothing to lose.

Yes, I've heard really good things about MemoQ, but the people who provide most of my work require Trados.

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2011-02-21 08:09 GMT]

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
SDL Trados Group Buy Feb 21, 2011

Hi francoanglais, the current group buy has reached the # of people needed to move forward and those on the waiting list will not be upgraded. We do conduct group buys for SDL just about monthly and I expect there to be another group buy soon. We typically notify all those on the waiting list prior to publicly releasing the group buy, giving you a chance to claim a space before it is publicly announced.

As with most of our sales, we negotiate with the vendor to be able to offer ProZ.com users the lowest price publicly available.

Good luck with whichever software program you chose, and wherever you choose to purchase it.

Regards,

Drew

sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2011

OK. Thanks very much, Drew. I may well wait for the next one.

sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Next MemoQ group buy Mar 11, 2011

Hi Drew,

Sorry to bother you, but do you have any idea when the next MemoQ Group Buy is due?

Thanks.

sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cancel last request... Mar 11, 2011

...I've just negotiated a price directly with the company. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Waiting list for Group Buy - SDL Trados Studio 2009 + Free AutoSuggest Creator!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search