Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados or wordfast, or anything better?
Thread poster: vilelita
Feb 22, 2011

Hi there,
I´m absoluty beginner in this translation + technological word.
I´ve already did several translations, very small Projects, nothing complecated.

But know I became an offer to translate from German to Spanish about 3,000 lines.
The content its completly Technical, its about commands and text for a Maschinessoftware (Sytem-prgramm). It doesn´t look so easy.

So, first question please:
-I´ve just read about these softwares Trados and Wordfast, is there something better on the markt or these two are the best options?
- It would be possible to get a tryout of these?
- Would you please recomment me a software or Website for technical translation, or technical-mechanical Spanish?
Thanks a lot for your advices.

best Regards,
Jessica

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
All are available for trying out Feb 23, 2011

Every CAT-tool on the market can be tried out before buying the license.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:13
English to Czech
+ ...
A brief list Feb 23, 2011

Here's a brief list of CAT tools for you to consider. To get a comprehensive list, simply google for "CAT tools".

- SDL Trados (www.translationzone.com)
- StarTransit (www.star-transit.com)
- MemoQ (www.kilgray.com)
- DejaVu (www.atril.com)
- WordFast (www.wordfast.com)
- Across (www.across.net)

They all offer a free trial period.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
What about Meta Texis Feb 23, 2011

Don't forget to add Meta Texis which is really a great CAT tool and cheap too and compatible with Trados.

I recommend Meta Texis PRO. Price is unbeatable right now.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
a word of advice Feb 23, 2011

vilelita wrote:

Hi there,
I´m absoluty beginner in this translation + technological word.
But know I became an offer to translate from German to Spanish about 3,000 lines.
The content its completly Technical,

If I were you I wouldn't even consider using a CAT tool for the first time on a 3,000 line project. CAT tools have a fairly steep learning curve if you're starting from zero.

And I think you also need to consider whether you understand enough about the technical subject in question - in your source and target languages - to take this project on at all.

My two cents...

vilelita
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2011

Thank you Emma, Stanislav, Heinrich and Alexandre :0)
I´ll take a look for those.
Best Regards
Jessica

vilelita
TOPIC STARTER
Trial Version - how many words? Feb 28, 2011

Hello again,
do you know please if there is a limit on the Number of Units to be tranlated in some of these Trials? Thanks

p.s. is Unit = one word?

- SDL Trados (www.translationzone.com)
- StarTransit (www.star-transit.com)
- MemoQ (www.kilgray.com)
- DejaVu (www.atril.com)
- WordFast (www.wordfast.com)
- Across (www.across.net)

Thanks again
Jessica

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Units and words Feb 28, 2011

Hello Jessica,
I suggest that you go through the websites of the respective developers to find out about the trial limitations. Most trial versions now don't limit the number of units (see below) but the number of days after installing or running the tool for the first time.

A translation unit is a pair of segments consisting of one source-language and one target-language segment. It is usually a sentence, but it may be even shorter than that, for instance a list item. If a segment contains only one word, than the translation unit will consist of two words: one source-language word and its target-language equivalent.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Incorrect Mar 1, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Every CAT-tool on the market can be tried out before buying the license.

Neither OmegaT, nor Anaphraseus need any license as they are free software, therefore you can just go and use them. Besides, there are freeware programs such as MetaTexis Lite, Across (for freelancers) that also can be used in fully functional mode.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The main issue Mar 1, 2011

vilelita wrote:
The content its completly Technical, its about commands and text for a Maschinessoftware (Sytem-prgramm). It doesn´t look so easy.

I would say that your main challenge is not the CAT tool, but the nature of the job. If you are a beginner in translation, you should definitely tell the customer and explain that you will need extensive support in understanding the matter at hand (what the machine does), the terminology (the kind of product made), and engineering-talk (how German engineers write and describe things).

You will need a lot of time in this first experience with this type of job. Take that into account!

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
They all have positive and negative sides Mar 1, 2011

I'm in the process of switching from Trados 2007 to the current release of MemoQ.

The switch from Trados is more about the company than the product: I don't like their policy on relicensing after hard drive crashes (or at least the policy as it was a couple months ago when last I dealt with them), and I think their products are too expensive. I'm also a bit wary of the fact that they're also a translation agency, which means I'm trusting software provided to me by my competitor. But they do put out very good software.

OmegaT doesn't seem robust enough yet, though its feature set has grown tremendously and it has the advantage of being free.

I wanted to try Across a year or two ago, but its installers crashed my computers (and I know several other people who had the same problem). This suggests they don't test their products sufficiently before releasing them (or didn't in the recent past) and this makes me hesitant to install their apps on my machines. But some of the agencies I work for have switched to Across and they are happy with it.

So far I'm very pleased with MemoQ (both the product and the pricing), and their customer support and client focus have outstanding reputations.

As has been noted above, most or all of the CAT products offer trial versions, so it's worth experimenting with different tools.

Clifford Schisler  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little late but totally convinced... Mar 1, 2011

I have had problems off and on cleaning up documents both in Trados 2007 and 2009. Using a demo mode of WORFAST I was able to clean the same file up without any problems at all!! I think this says a lot about TRADOS, besides they never reply to my inquiries, you have to BUY SUPPORT FROM TRADOS... once they get your money, that's where the real interest seems to stop...
Definitely buy WORDFAST!!

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
This is true Mar 1, 2011

Clifford Schisler wrote:

I have had problems off and on cleaning up documents both in Trados 2007 and 2009. Using a demo mode of WORFAST I was able to clean the same file up without any problems at all!!

Trados bilingual files and .tmx TMs are entirely Wordfast-compatibleicon_smile.gif

vilelita
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Mar 1, 2011

Thanks again all of you :0), and nice Week

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I concur Mar 1, 2011

NMR wrote:

Clifford Schisler wrote:

I have had problems off and on cleaning up documents both in Trados 2007 and 2009. Using a demo mode of WORFAST I was able to clean the same file up without any problems at all!!

Trados bilingual files and .tmx TMs are entirely Wordfast-compatibleicon_smile.gif

WF Classic was my first CAT tool and - maybe silly to say - I am happy that it was available for some 250 € when I started freelancing. Am I allowed to say "Thank you, Mr. Champollion"?icon_smile.gif

There are always files I can process with WFC (OK, that's on a Windows system - but this is a different story altogether).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or wordfast, or anything better?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search