How can I get rid of the useless tags? (TagEditor)
Thread poster: boostrer

boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2011

I am required to provide my translation as a TTX file. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tags almost in every segment, although the actual text of a segment often has no variations in formatting in the source DOC file . If I just delete all tags, I either receive an error message or formatting of the segment changes (it may become bold or underlined). Is it possible to find some way around? Maybe I can translate the file in Word (Workbench) and then convert the bilingual file into TTX?

I am sure that I am not the first one to ask these questions, but I failed to find the appropriate topics.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:41
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
CodeZapper Feb 25, 2011

You can use the CodeZapper set of Word macros, if you can find it on Google. It used to be free, but now it doesn't seem to be.

If the visible formatting is the same throughout the text, you can select a little bit of text and use Format Painter in Word to apply the same formatting elsewhere. Another, not mutually exclusive option, is to open a new document, select Insert > File, and point to your document. The content will be inserted, and a lot of useless formatting will be discarded. You can also try saving as RTF/DOCX/DOC and back to the original format.

boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Style Feb 25, 2011

2 Adam
Thank you. I do not need this program now, but I would like to know more about it: maybe, I'll need it in future.

I have figured out what to do. As it often happens, the Normal style font was Times, whereas the text was actually formatted as Arial. So, internal tags were correcting the information provided by the external tags "Paragraph font". I have changed the Normal style font to Arial and all useless tags have disappeared. Hope, the agency will not complain.

[Edited at 2011-02-25 08:23 GMT]

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@boostrer Feb 25, 2011

I would highly recommend you take a look at CodeZapper, by David Turner.

It's no longer free, and there's now a "one-time, 20 euro contribution for the program", but he has been releasing new versions almost weekly lately and really improving it a lot lately, so it's well worth the tiny fee.

http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get rid of the useless tags? (TagEditor)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search