Which MS Office version works best for Studio's real-time preview?
Thread poster: Jonathan Hopkins

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:55
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2011

Hello colleagues,

Who has experience with different MS Office versions alongside Studio? I have Office 2003 installed, but Studio's real-time preview has never really worked as it should, often crashing, throwing errors here and there and not automatically refreshing as it should.

Does Studio offer better results using Office 2010? I've been contemplating upgrading (originally thought of upgrading, since the preview handler for Office 2003 is not supported by Windows Explorer 7--a function that I'd like to have), but I would appreciate some feedback from other users first, who already have experience with the combination of Studio and Office 2010.

Or maybe others don't have this problem with Office 2003, as I do? What has your experience been?

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
some suggestions Feb 26, 2011

Hi,
my personal experience is related to the use of trados 2009 Starter Edition combined with MS Office 2000.
The problems I detected on my pc are other, even though several times the application crashes and I have to start it again. (I fixed the main issues by changing the RAM and with a little "ordinary maintenance".
In your case I would suggest two things, to see what type of problem may cause the error conditions and crashes you mention.

1. Try to start your pc and open the applications as usual: e.g. the browser, the email, word and trados. When done, open "Task Manager" and select the tab "processes". So you will see which of the application running requires more memory.

2. You should try and see wheter these problem occur under specific conditions or are random (i.e. for trados, if the file you are working on is heavy and so on)

3. Finally, you may check on the trados webpage and on Microsoft technical supprt page. There you should find a dedicated link for the knowledge base and, specifically on microsoft page, a link to the technical support and to the analysis of compatibility between Office, and the Operating System and other softwares.

Hope this may help you and you will soon be able to find the best solution to your problem

Regards, have a nice weekend

Roberto

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Office 2010 Feb 27, 2011

Real time preview works fine for me using Word 2010. And, just for the record, it worked fine when I was using Word 2007.
I've never used Office 2003 with Studio, so I can't comment on that.

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
good experience with Office 2010 Feb 27, 2011

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

Does Studio offer better results using Office 2010? ... I would appreciate some feedback from other users first, who already have experience with the combination of Studio and Office 2010.

Hi Jonathan,

I never used Studio with Office 2003 either so I can't comment, I am using the Studio/Office 2010 combination and it is working fine.
No crash at all for me, the only pb I have is error messages that pop up once in a while pretending that I do not have Office 2007/2010 installed. In such cases closing and relaunching Studio generally solves the matter.

I often have to refresh the view myself, but that's not a big deal IMO. I would simply have a message in the preview window telling me that the preview is out of date, it does not prevent the whole app from working. A simple click on the relevant icon in the preview window allows to refresh the view.

I had some troubles making it work though, here are my findings (hope this will save you time!):

- Should you move to Office 2010, you will need to install the full version (vs. the "click-to-run" version which is proposed by default if you download the SW from MS's website). The version I installed initially was the "click-to-run" version and the real time review wouldn't work.
Also you may have to download an additional MS component, Primary Interop Assembly. See http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/179618-preview_function_in_studio_ms_office_2010.html#1600354 for these two points.

- in case you would like to see both the source and target side-by-side in the preview window, FYI it only works for html and xml files, not with Office documents -regardless of the version... See http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/189715-real_time_preview_side_by_side_in_studios_preview_window.html#1664729

[Edited at 2011-02-27 08:55 GMT]

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx for responses thus far... Feb 27, 2011

Thank you Roberto, Emma and Aude for your replies.

@Roberto: thanks for the tips, however, as far as resources are concerned, I'm quite certain that that should not be a problem with 4 GB RAM, Intel i7 processor; the problem is indeed consistent, but it is not as though Office 2003 is not compatible altogether. It does work in general. However, the recurrent problems suggest that MS Office 2003 and SDL Sutdio are not the best of bed fellows. The problems I receive are:

1) Studio's preview rarely updates automatically (not fatal, but unfortunate)

2) Windows reports (very frequent) that Word has stopped working. Sometimes a simple CTRL+R solves the problem and I can continue working, but sometimes...

3) Word causes Studio to crash. Even an Outlook e-mail alert can cause Studio to crash (although that has only happened once). Usually I can just re-open Studio and all is fine. Although once it did cause me more trouble than a simple inconvenience.

@Emma: thanks for the positive feedback concerning Office 2010.

@ Aude: Thanks for the very helpful tips, should I decide to upgrade to Office 2010. I'm wondering though, why the preview some times fails to update automatically. Does anyone know the technical reason behind that?

I was already familiar with your post concerning the side-by-side view.

I hope more people will share their experience.

Thanks again.

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Works here Feb 27, 2011

I am new to Trados Studio 2009. Using it with MS Word 2003, no problems so far.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft the culprit Mar 5, 2011

Just an update on this isse:

The errors 2) and 3) reported above were caused by Microsoft. After hours of troubleshooting; changing KEY data info, Addins and COM entries in the register and making other changes via cmd, including uninstallation, re-installation—all to no avail—I finally discovered that the cause of the problem was files left behind in other versions of MS Office12 and 14. Deleted those, and the problem—knock on wood—has been resolved.

However, problem 1) as noted above sadly remains. There seems to be no difference between the Real-time Preview and the Preiview

After confirming segments the cursor does move to the next segment in the preview, but the text is not updated until pressing refresh (CTRL-R)

If anyone can solve this riddle for me, I'd be awfully grateful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which MS Office version works best for Studio's real-time preview?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search