Thread poster: Magdalena Szymańska

Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2011

Hello to all fellow translators!

I have a question regarding tag protection and document protection settings.

Are there any advanced options in Studio 2009? I know that I can turn on/off tag protection in the Edtior view (Format > Protect Tags). But my client uses Trados 2007 and he asked me to set up the following settings:

In the protection tab, be sure that:
"Protect tags" is NOT checked
"Show warning when turning tag protection off" is checked
DO NOT CHECK "Restore tag protection settings after confirming translation"
"Protect document" is checked
"Protect PerfectMatch units (XUs)" is checked
"Restore XU protection when closing segment" is checked

Is it enough to open the files in Trados 2007, set up the settings and then process the files in Studio? Or do I have to have the same settings in Studio (I cannot find them)? Or is it necessary to translate this project using Trados 2007 (I'd rather avoid this solution; I am not very well familiar with this CAT).

Magdalena

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These settings apply only to TagEditor Feb 28, 2011

Document protection is on by default in Studio and cannot be switched off.
Externalt tags are not present at all in Studio, so you will not have to deal with those.
XU-units are locked by default.
Internal tags are not protected in Studio.

You can simply open the TTX in Studio and translate it as usual. Then save the target (this will produce a TTX file) and deliver to the customer. Just pay attention to internal tags.

TBH I would not pay any attention to this, but just care about the XU-units protection. Everything else is just my business - I am the one who has to edit the document, so there is no customer in the world who will tell me to protect an internal tag or not. I deliver a document with all necessary tags in place, and only this matters.
Or will it go now so far, that the customers will start to tell us which keyboard to use or how to type?

Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 28, 2011

Hi Jerzy!

Thank you for your quick and comforting answer. I appreciate your help.

Magdalena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - document protection & tag protection

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search