Trados 2009: any alternative function other than winalign?
Thread poster: sls17199

sls17199
Local time: 18:53
Feb 28, 2011

Hi I am a newbie to Trados and I got a copy of Trados 2009 installed in my computer. But I want to inser my previously translated documents into a TM for future use. But the 2009 studio did not come with Winalign since I didn't have 2007. Any other means to do that without the need to install 2007?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:53
French to German
+ ...
Installing the 2007 version is a breeze Mar 1, 2011

You have two choices:

1. Install the 2007 version so that you can use WinAlign. This is the easiest and cheapest solution.

2. Use a different product, such as AlignFactory. If you do not have to many documents to align, you may also use Terminotix free online alignment offer at www.youalign.com.

Walter

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Align using SDLx Mar 1, 2011

Strange. I didn't have any Trados version when I bought Studio 2009 Freelance, and I received WinAlign and Trados TWB 2007 with my purchase.

SDLx 2007 is also included in Studio 2009. I haven't tried the alignment function in SDLx, but I can at least see that the list of supported file formats is significantly longer than in WinAlign. Try that before buying something else.

[Edited at 2011-03-01 09:36 GMT]

Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
LF Aligner Mar 1, 2011

Hi!

I use the free tool LF Aligner, which can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/search/?q=lf%20aligner.

It is a bit tricky to use in the beginning due to the interface (it runs in the terminal window) but if you follow the step by step instructions, then it works very well on both PC and Mac. In my opinion, the results are much better than those I get with WinAlign (less segments get "out of sync" and when they occasionally get out of sync, for example if there are extra sentences in one of the language versions, then it is much easier to fix them).

Kind regards,
Johanna

Pawel Lyszczyk
Problems with Windows7 Mar 1, 2011

Has any of the Trados 2009 users experienced problems with Windows 7. i.e. problems with closing the application?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Which application do you mean? Mar 1, 2011

Could you be more precise? Do you mean closing WinAlign or Studio?

This thread is about Alignemnt.

BTW: I never experienced any problem closing either of the two applications in Windows 7.

Walter

sls17199
Local time: 18:53
TOPIC STARTER
It is reli a pain to learn Trados... Mar 1, 2011

So Trados 2009 alone could not do the job?
I just find Trados very stupid - I have to install many many softwares which I even dunno the use and it takes up much space of my harddisk. Why can't it be a single standalone software which combine all the function?

Erkan Dogan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Simple: to make more money Aug 10, 2012

sls17199 wrote:

So Trados 2009 alone could not do the job?
I just find Trados very stupid - I have to install many many softwares which I even dunno the use and it takes up much space of my harddisk. Why can't it be a single standalone software which combine all the function?

A standalone version of Trados 2009 would not cost as much as they charge with Trados 2007 today. Even with special rates, including Trados 2007 costs extra Keep in mind that SDL bought Trados in 2007. So after the acquisition, many things have changed including the user friendly interface of Trados 7 and Trados 2007. Even corporate customers complain that they cannot receive one simple tutorial solution that would cover all details; so go figure with the software itself. Unfortunately though, it is still the leading software that has more capabilities than those "me too" products.

mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
ABBYY Aligner Aug 17, 2012

I strongly recommend ABBYY Aligner tool. Using is is a breeze

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: any alternative function other than winalign?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search