Confirmed segments not entered into TM (SDL Edit 2007)
Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:52
English to French
Mar 2, 2011

Hello,

In SDL Edit 2007, when I hit enter after modifying a segment, it is not entered in the TM. The mouse cursor turns to the waiting sign (in my case an animated circle, this is Vista on my laptop), which stays forever until I move the mouse (at which point it goes back to normal). If I delete the text, go elsewhere, go back to the segment, my previously entered translation is not shown as a TM match. Am I missing something or is there a problem here, and if so what might it be?
... See more
Hello,

In SDL Edit 2007, when I hit enter after modifying a segment, it is not entered in the TM. The mouse cursor turns to the waiting sign (in my case an animated circle, this is Vista on my laptop), which stays forever until I move the mouse (at which point it goes back to normal). If I delete the text, go elsewhere, go back to the segment, my previously entered translation is not shown as a TM match. Am I missing something or is there a problem here, and if so what might it be? Thanks. I've tried this with two different TMs, so that should not be linked to the TM file.

(I am a Trados-only translator trying his luck at SDLX, out of necessity... Not very lucky so far.)
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation Mar 5, 2011

Could an experienced SDLX user please confirm that the following behavior is abnormal:

In SDL Edit, I have one Termbase open, one TM open, and one ITD file open. The TM has been "applied" to the file. The first segment is a fuzzy match. It is green, and corresponding TM fuzzy matches (including the one in the target column) appear below in the TM Results window. I modify the translation of the first segment slightly to make it perfect, then hit Enter. Then I go back to the segment,
... See more
Could an experienced SDLX user please confirm that the following behavior is abnormal:

In SDL Edit, I have one Termbase open, one TM open, and one ITD file open. The TM has been "applied" to the file. The first segment is a fuzzy match. It is green, and corresponding TM fuzzy matches (including the one in the target column) appear below in the TM Results window. I modify the translation of the first segment slightly to make it perfect, then hit Enter. Then I go back to the segment, delete the text (segment becomes gray), move with Ctrl-Down to next segment, then back with Ctrl-Up to my first segment. My previously entered translation doesn't appear as a 100% match in the TM matches (where I only get the fuzzy matches I got before). Pressing F8 doesn't help.

Thank you.

(Windows Vista, SDLX 2007 SP3 7080)

[Edited at 2011-03-05 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Update TM manually Mar 5, 2011

Hello Jacques,
I didn't use SDL Edit very frequently, so I can't remember what exactly F8 does. What I can remember is that you have to update your TM manually. I suggest that you do this every once in a while because if you don't and SDL Edit crashes, you will lose your work.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Two questions about updating Mar 5, 2011

Thanks Stanislav. Two questions about updating the TM:

- I am assuming that hitting Enter updates the TM at least in the sense that the translation will appear as a 100% match if I get the same segment again (and therefore should appear in the example given above). Isn't that the case?

- Won't an Update done before the translation is finished enter garbage in the TM? For all 0% matches I have a copy of source segment in the target column. Won't an update enter this copy
... See more
Thanks Stanislav. Two questions about updating the TM:

- I am assuming that hitting Enter updates the TM at least in the sense that the translation will appear as a 100% match if I get the same segment again (and therefore should appear in the example given above). Isn't that the case?

- Won't an Update done before the translation is finished enter garbage in the TM? For all 0% matches I have a copy of source segment in the target column. Won't an update enter this copy as a translation?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 12:35 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Mar 5, 2011

Hello Jacques,
here are some replies:

Jacques DP wrote:

Not quite: hitting Enter will only confirm the segment as translated but it will not update your TM.

- Won't an Update done before the translation is finished enter garbage in the TM? For all 0% matches I have a copy of source segment in the target column. Won't an update enter this copy as a translation?

This may be a problem because it is exactly as you say. I would therefore delete the 0% matches from the target column.

Or, even better, I'd take the whole thing to TagEditor and export it back into ITD after the translation is complete.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
But then... Mar 5, 2011

Not quite: hitting Enter will only confirm the segment as translated but it will not update your TM.

But if I hit enter on a certain segment, and then, later in the file, the same segment is repeated, presumably the previously entered translation will show up as a TM match, won't it?

Exporting things in Tageditor would not be convenient I'm afraid. This is a long, multipart project, with SDLX TMs and SDLX Termbases. So that would not be very con
... See more

But if I hit enter on a certain segment, and then, later in the file, the same segment is repeated, presumably the previously entered translation will show up as a TM match, won't it?

Exporting things in Tageditor would not be convenient I'm afraid. This is a long, multipart project, with SDLX TMs and SDLX Termbases. So that would not be very convenient. Also I think SDL Edit is OK (though I don't like the format painting thing), I don't mind using it, as long as it actually works.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
This is autopropagation Mar 5, 2011

Jacques DP wrote:

This is called "autopropagation" and only works in a single file. SDL Edit will simply repeat your translation for identical segments in this individual file, but this doesn't update your TM.

[Upraveno: 2011-03-05 13:27 GMT]

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I see, but... Mar 5, 2011

I see, so I guess my example above in my comment titled "Confirmation" is normal? (leaving F8 aside)

The thing is that I had the impression that I was retranslating from scratch the same segments in the same file, recently. But whether this is or is not the case, my example above probably can't confirm the issue, since SDLX doesn't work by updating the TM after each segment is confirmed like Trados does, but with the autopropagation mechanism (which is probably better as it allows f
... See more
I see, so I guess my example above in my comment titled "Confirmation" is normal? (leaving F8 aside)

The thing is that I had the impression that I was retranslating from scratch the same segments in the same file, recently. But whether this is or is not the case, my example above probably can't confirm the issue, since SDLX doesn't work by updating the TM after each segment is confirmed like Trados does, but with the autopropagation mechanism (which is probably better as it allows for dynamic change).

Another reason to be puzzled is that a few years ago I did many jobs with SDL Edit for one client. And I am pretty sure I never did any TM Update, nor did I receive an updated TM from the client every time. So it seems my TM was updated despite this. But maybe I am missing something.
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Just one thought Mar 5, 2011

Could it be that autopropagation doesn't work when the target segments are filled with copies of the source segment?

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I think so Mar 5, 2011

Jacques DP wrote:

Could it be that autopropagation doesn't work when the target segments are filled with copies of the source segment?

I can't remember exactly, but I do think this is the case.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stanislav! Mar 6, 2011

Thanks Stanislav, your help was appreciated.

Ricardo Nakaoka
Ricardo Nakaoka  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:52
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
I found out Dec 13, 2011

Hi Jacques,

I believe it might be a little late to help you, but I had this same difficulty, and I found out that I should hit the 'Update' option on Translation Memory menu.

good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confirmed segments not entered into TM (SDL Edit 2007)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »