Studio 2009 viewing issue
Thread poster: barryw
barryw
Local time: 16:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 3, 2011

dear all,

i am get used to TagEditor's viewing mode, so i found Studio 2009's side-by-side viewing mode difficult to work on, is there anyway we can switch the viewing mode?

thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:30
French to German
+ ...
It's sometimes difficult to change habits Mar 3, 2011

I guess it is only because you are so used to the horizontal viewing that the new way seems difficult for you.

In fact, my personal experience as well the one of many other users is that it is much more convenient to work with the left-right tabular approach because it offers many advantages such as:

1. No need to open/close segments anymore, you can move around freely within the segments.

2. You have a better view of the context because you see all sentences of one language beneath each other. One big criticism many translators have towards CAT tools is that they force you to work sentence by sentence. While this is still true in Studio (as in any CAT tool), you see at least the sentences of one language that belong together while this was impossible in the old approach because you would see a sequence of alternating source and target sentences.

While I can understand your reaction (you are not the only one), I am confident that you will start liking the new method after you have worked with it a while.

Walter

barryw
Local time: 16:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
better to choose our preferred viewing mode Mar 4, 2011

Hi Walter,
Thanks for your detailed account! Yes, it will be better if the CAT tools can leave the translators options to choose our preferred viewing mode. Need some time to pick things up then.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:30
English to Czech
+ ...
Vote Mar 4, 2011

Perhaps you might want to vote for my idea here: http://tinyurl.com/6kn9kv7

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 viewing issue

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search