Need to work on .lua-files
Thread poster: jykim

jykim

Local time: 12:14
German to Korean
+ ...
Mar 4, 2011

Hello everyone,

I just received a new translation job from Korean company. It's mostly text for a software and the client provided me the files which are all (there are 12 different files) in the format .lua (never worked with this format before). So, since the client asked me to use Trados (explicitly 2007) and I don't have any solution, I was wondering if anybody in this forum has an idea.

Thanks in advance (-:

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask your client for help Mar 4, 2011

Hello,
this is what I found about LUA files on the web:

Primary association: Lua
Company: Tecgraf - Computer Graphics Technology Group
File classification: Source Code
Other applications associated with file type LUA:

* Homeworld (Generic Lua File) by Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
* Lua Player for PSP (Script) by InsertWittyNameLua for the PlayStation Portable is interpreted with Lua Player. Lua Player can run lua scripts and display them on the Sony PSP. Lus is an unofficial Sony PSP homebrew application; it requires firmware V1.5 or a custom firmware with a lua player to run. This association is classified as Source Code.

If the LUA format is XML-based, you may be able to create an INI file to process the LUAs in TagEditor, but I strongly suggest that you ask your client for help. If it's an agency, it should be their responsibility to prepare the project for you.

jykim

German to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer Mar 7, 2011

Hello Stanislav,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Well, it is not an agency who send me this job. I already had a talk with their tech. department asking them for support, but all they could tell me was that they already developed some sort of script for extracting text-only into a different format, but they were not able to convert the texts back. I will not take this job, but since I am very much interested to improve my tech. skills, I would be very much interested in finding a solution. Anybody with another idea? The client doesn't seem to be very helpful...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No idea Mar 7, 2011

Unfortunately, I can't have any ideas without seeing the file. As the file type is text-based, it may well be enough to process it as an XML file, but I can't tell you exactly without knowing the file structure.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
lua script Mar 7, 2011

Most likely this is lua script, used in games, applications etc. You can read about it here:

http://www.lua.org/home.html

As with most source code, the strings to be translated are likely to be enclosed in some delimiters. However, extracting them and putting the translation back is nothing but a trivial task: the string have to follow some rules, there might be encoding problems, the output files need to be reviewed by a person versed in the script syntax, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to work on .lua-files

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search