Unable to return SDL Trados Studio 2009 license
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:36
English to Arabic
Mar 4, 2011

Hi All,

I have an SDL Trados Studio 2009 license with two activations contract, to operate the software on my desktop and laptop without having to return the license to switch between them. I have a problem on my desktop now that can't be solved without formatting the PC, but I can't return the license of SDL. I get Error code 50040 "Cannot perform support actions on inactive fullfillment record." I tried searching for the error code on SDL's website, but got one result in the case of trying to activate, not return the license.

I don't know what to do with this problem and it seems that I can't log a support case without a PSMA contract on SDL.

Thank you for your help.
Tamara

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:36
English to Czech
+ ...
Log a support case Mar 4, 2011

Hello Tamara,
my blind guess is that your license is corrupt. I suggest that you use the SDL Solution Finder to log a support case as you are eligible for free support on installation and licensing issues.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
system image (?) Mar 6, 2011

I'm guessing you restored Windows 7 from a system image after previously returning the licenses.

1. If you create a system image while your software is licensed,
2. then return the licenses
3. and then restore Windows 7 from the system image,

Studio and MT will be licensed, despite the fact that you previously returned the licenses.

Trying to return your licenses at this stage will generate the error message you received.

You will need to "re-activate" your software using your licenses before you can return them again.

License no longer valid- cannot log support case Sep 29, 2011

I have the same problem. For some reason, my Trados Studio professionnal license is no longer valid (I didn't change computer or reinstall the application).
I successfully returned the license, as suggested on the SDL site, with the License Manager and tried to register the product again. Same result:
"fulfil count exceeded the seat count....Error Message 50040..."

I returned the licence but in My Account (on SDL) it still indicates that I'm using the license.

I need to contact them. I don't have an PSMA contract with SDL and, even if I go into the SDL Solution Finder and look for support on "installation and licensing issues" I cannot contact them for support. I tried everything.

Since I had a contract support once, I even wrote to them using that email address. However, I got an auto-reply saying my message was not accepted.

Who are we suppose to contact if we cannot activate our product?

I called the SDL salesperson I had dealt with several years ago (thank goodness I still had the number somewhere), but got no reply yet.

Anyone had this problem? I sort of remember being able to contact support for activation problems but it looks like we cannot anymore.

Are we suppose to contact the sales people for SDL when we need someone to aknowledge us and get our pricely SDL product to, at least, be activated?

Thanks,

Anne.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use the Solution Finder Sep 30, 2011

Hi Anne,

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I receive an error message related to activating or returning my license, or I have an issue related to product activation.
-- I get error message 50040 during license activation.

At this point you are presented with two KB article links that you sould try as they may allow you to help yourself. If they don't then the next click in the solution finder mentioned above is this:

--- I have tried the solution in the articles, but I still get the error message.

Followed by this because sometimes there is a slight delay on the server polling requests:

---- I have waited more than 30 minutes after returning my license before I tried activating my software.

After this option this will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day. If you have tried the suggestions it only takes a few seconds to click through these options and get to the page where you can raise a support request.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

License no longer valid- cannot log support case - Thank you! Sep 30, 2011

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will certainly follow your instructions.

Merci!

Anne.

Simplex
English to Polish
+ ...
Was the problem solved? May 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Go to the Knowledgebase;
http://kb.sdl.com
Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

http://kb.sdl.com is down at the moment and I have the same licensing problem. I have Trados 2007 with extra activation and I cannot return the licence because License Manager "Cannot perform support actions on inactive fullfillment record." (whatever that means).

Did the author of the thread managed to solv her problem?

Regards,
Simplex

United Kingdom
English
Use the self service option May 5, 2012

Hi,

For 2007 and 2009 it is possible to force return the license in your My Account, so you don't need Licensing to do this for you. I just tried the KB and it was working fine... I checked for the KB article describing this process here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4295&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
did you upgrade to 2011? May 7, 2012

If you did then you no longer have a license for 2009. Same thing happened to me so I can no longer install 2009 into my computer alongside 2011.

Eileen

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
English to German
+ ...
it should always be possible to force a license return for Trados 2011 Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

For 2007 and 2009 it is possible to force return the license in your My Account, so you don't need Licensing to do this for you. I just tried the KB and it was working fine... I checked for the KB article describing this process here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4295&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

It seems very user-unfriendly and/or might keep someone from buying the 2011 products.
The convenience of being able to get your license back after a hard drive reformat by forcing a license return and then getting it back within 1/2 an hour is a must for any translator. We don't have the time to go through many steps to just open a support ticket, then have to wait a day or more (over the weekend?!) to get a response, all the while not knowing if we get our license back.

Did you recently (it's now 2013) change anything to give the same convenience back to 2011 users?

Otherwise, they'll be in for a big surprise and I don't see how their reaction can be in Trados' interest.

Bernhard

[Bearbeitet am 2013-08-05 02:42 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
It's not that bad... Aug 5, 2013

Hello Bernard,

With 2007 and 2009 the licensing system was more susceptible to being lost even with an uninstall, whereas 2011 introduced a new system altogether that means you can uninstall and reinstall as much as you like without having to return your license at all.

So the problem is just when you actually have a new computer or you have had to reformat your hard disk and start again for example. In this case Studio will start with a 30-day trial license so you can start working again instantly and have plenty of time to request to have your license reset.

Regards

Paul

Post edit: I should add this is only necessary if you don't return your license via the software. You can do this at any time.

[Edited at 2013-08-05 07:07 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
why the change? Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

So the problem is just when you actually have a new computer or you have had to reformat your hard disk and start again for example. In this case Studio will start with a 30-day trial license so you can start working again instantly and have plenty of time to request to have your license reset.

Regards

Paul

Post edit: I should add this is only necessary if you don't return your license via the software. You can do this at any time.

Thanks for getting back to me, Paul.

Three questions:

1. Why the change? Why do you not give the opportunity to get the license back quickly for 2011 (force a return online) when reformatting the hard-drive? This does happen, and even though I usually have access to two computers, it would be nice to know I can get that back the same day.

2. Why do we have to go through a support ticket to apply for having our license reset, say when installing it on a new computer? Or what does it mean to return the license using the "software" ?

3. Is the 30-day trial version a completely functional version, meaning any actions and any document sizes or number of documents can be performed/put through within that period (-= just like with the actual full version)?

Thank you,

Bernhard

United Kingdom
English
I think it's worth knowing that... Aug 5, 2013

... until very recently you could not "force" return a 2007/2009 licence. So this is new anyway and we did it to make it easier for any users who still used the older software that had a more rigid licensing system in this regard.

If you plan your reformat then it simply is not a problem. You can return your license and take it back whenever you like. This is in your control. We are only talking about the situation where your laptop is stolen, or crashes and needs to be rebuilt, all before you had the chance to return your license.

If you get a new computer then you build the new one, and then when you are ready just return the license from the old one and then activate it on the new one. No input from us required.

The trial version is actually an unrestricted Professional version. So if you purchased the Freelance version you gain during the trial period rather than lose.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to German
+ ...
returning before reformatting Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

If you plan your reformat then it simply is not a problem. You can return your license and take it back whenever you like. This is in your control. We are only talking about the situation where your laptop is stolen, or crashes and needs to be rebuilt, all before you had the chance to return your license.
Paul

is good advice.
Thank you,

Bernhard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to return SDL Trados Studio 2009 license

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search