Font changed in target document (correct in Editor)
Thread poster: epheidelberg

epheidelberg
Local time: 09:42
German to English
Mar 6, 2011

Hello,

Windows 7
MS Windows 2007
SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3

Could anyone help with this problem please?

I'm translating an MS Word document which has the font Arial and several instances of Courier New font. In the translation editor, I can see the formatting tags on the right-hand side and the text is formatted as it should be, that is, those sections which should be Courier New are Courier New.

However, when I generate the target document, there is no sign of Courier New and everything is Arial.

What can I do?

Thank you

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure the tags are placed around the text to be formatted? Mar 6, 2011

What you see in Studio does not really matter. What matters are tags, which have to be present around the text to be formatted. You also need to have no ghost tags there.

epheidelberg
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tags are present (not sure about ghost tags) Mar 6, 2011

Thanks for your reply, Jerzy.

If I take one sample sentence - and choose the setting " Display 'All Content' " at the top of the editor screen, I see the following:

-The text on the right is formatted exactly as it is on the left (in the source text). The tags also appear exactly as they do on the left.

-The two instances of CourierNew font in the example sentence are surrounded by tags with 'csf' on them. When I position the mouse over the initial tag in each case, I see inside angled brackets

'csf style="CodeInline" font= "CourierNew"' and when I hover over the final tag, I see /csf.

That would appear logical to me - but this CourierNew font does NOT appear in the generated target document.

I'm not familiar with ghost tags. In this sample sentence there are just 4 tags, the opening and closing tags for each of two terms formatted in CourierNew.

(Curiously enough, the document contains other tags used for bold font and these do appear bold in the target document ).

Thanks for any info.
Enda

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is indeed strange Mar 6, 2011

Ghost tags are partially deleted tags - where the starting OR the closing tag has been attempted to delete, but the program is still showing it in pale pink instead of the full colour of the "normal" tag.

As for your problem - this is really strange, as with tags present the document should be formatted correctly. Could you please try to save the original file in other format and try to translate that one instead?

epheidelberg
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Haven't found any ghost tags Mar 6, 2011

Thanks Jerzy,

I remembered what ghost tags were and checked the text for them. That was a bit tedious because the document has 140 pages (I wonder is there a quick search method to find ghost tags).

I also read on an SDL Help Page that 'If you save a document that contains ghost tags, an error message is displayed in the Messages window informing you that a ghost tag has been found in the document'.

No message did appear and I haven't found any ghost texts anyway. Also, if the font CourierNew does not appear in the target text, I would have expected the bold font not to appear either - but it does.

When I verify the file, there are no errors and no warnings. There are several notes referring to spaces being removed either before or after tags or tag pairs. But these are inevitable, for example, when you change the sentence order and the tagged element moves to the end of the sentence - then you have to remove the space between it and the full stop.

I'll do as you suggest and save the original file in a different format and try it again. I suppose you mean something like an rtf, for example. I've already manually changed the formatting in the target document so I'll try your suggestion in a couple of days when I've more time.

The main reason I need this formatting to work now is:
If the customer makes some changes to the source document, I need to be able to use the TM without having to make all these formatting changes again manually in the target.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know what happens.
Enda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font changed in target document (correct in Editor)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search