Updating a TM based on a bilingual .xls file
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 6, 2011

Hello all,

Can I update my existing TM with a bilingual .xls ? The only way I can think of is to open the bilingual .xls in TagEditor as a .ttx and update the TM. But that often runs into problems as TaEditor often confuses the source and target segments, especially that the .xls file has many sheets. Any other ideas?

TIA
Noha

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX Mar 6, 2011

My article on this: http://www.proz.com/doc/3194

The gist of it is: generate a TMX from the xls, which you can then import to any TM you like along with the appropriate metadata (creation time, creator name, name of the source document etc.)

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do an alignment Mar 6, 2011

Assuming you have each language in a separate column:

Make two new copies of the XLS file. In one copy, delete the Language A column from all sheets. One the other copy, delete the Language B column.

Then run an alignment of the two new single-language files.

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Smart Mar 6, 2011

mmmm, smarticon_smile.gif
Any idea how to do that alignment? Never done it beforeicon_smile.gif)

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alignment Mar 6, 2011

It depends which version of Trados you're using. In Trados 2007 and earlier, there was an application called WinAlign that lets you align two single-language documents. It requires a bit of manual intervention, since it doesn't always guess correctly which segment goes with which, but it's a great tool.

I assume that Trados Studio has a similar tool, though it might have a different name.

Either way, there should be documentation on the website about how to use it.

[Edited at 2011-03-06 17:18 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Make TMX Mar 6, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Assuming you have each language in a separate column:

Make two new copies of the XLS file. In one copy, delete the Language A column from all sheets. One the other copy, delete the Language B column.

Then run an alignment of the two new single-language files.

Just running the TMX maker is a much better solution. Alignment is more fiddly and you run the risk of the aligner pushing the files out of sync by segmenting a few cells somewhere in there, which could be a huge pain in the neck.

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to make TMX Mar 6, 2011

Well, then, I guess I need to ask, how do I make a TMX? Never done it before either. I am using Trados 2007. Any help is much appreciated.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
read the first post in the thread Mar 6, 2011

Noha Kamal, PhD. wrote:

Well, then, I guess I need to ask, how do I make a TMX? Never done it before either. I am using Trados 2007. Any help is much appreciated.

FarkasAndras wrote:

My article on this: http://www.proz.com/doc/3194

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will give it a try Mar 6, 2011

Thanks a lot guys.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating a TM based on a bilingual .xls file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search